Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metro Vs. Redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danhorne, May 27, 2004.

1. Hey folks,

I want to know your opinions on these two 2x10 combo's. The Eden Metro and the SWR Super Redhead. The specs for power are almost the same. Wanted to know if there would be any huge differences between them? tone wise or anything like that? i've played on Eden 2x10 cabs before and i'm going down to test out the Redhead soon. Still just wanted to see what the masses think or them, if anything at all.

Thanks,

Dan

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think they are both awesome combos and I would have trouble choosing between both.

They both have incredible tone, but they each have their own distinct sound.

The Eden is a warmer, thicker, more colored sound with a lot of low mids.

The SWR is a clearer, crisper, sound with more pronounced top end but it still has a full low end which in my opinion is not the case with most SWR gear. The mids are there but not as pronounced.

If I had to choose Id go with the Eden for myself. It fits the situations I play in better. My rig is mostly Eden as it is.

LonelyJazzBass just had to make this desicion and tried them both recently so he should be more able to help you out.

Peace
    Nick

3. Dan,

I recently went through a massive amp search, trying everything I could. Being that I didn't need anything all that big, I really focused on the Eden Metro and SWR Super Redhead combos. Just a week ago, I was at Bass Central in Orlando trying the two amps out (BC has really nice guys, by the way!). Here's my $0.02 on my ears' comparison of the two.

The SWR really has a bright, hi-fi sound. As much as I like a Marcus Miller-like slap sound, the Super Redhead just seemed a bit too bright for me. The Metro, on the other hand, had a really smooth, deep sound. Very warm all around and definitely had that "room filling" feel to it. The SWR felt like it projected outwards more than it filled the room with bass. On the Eden, if I wanted a sound more like the Super Redhead, I turned up the "Enhance" and the treble EQ controls and got a pretty similar sound. Getting the SWR to sound more like the Metro was something I tried, but couldn't really do.

All in all, I chose the Metro because I really felt that it better-suited what I wanted for my sound. I'd definitely recommend playing the two, preferably side-by-side. In the end, I chose the Metro because I loved the warm, deep, room-filling bass I could get, plus I felt like it had the versatility to get a bright, snappy slap sound. Also, though I like the Eden's tube-channel the most, having the two channels makes it really easy to go from one sound to another.

-Nick Park