Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metronome in 7

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, May 28, 2005.

1. Any body know of a site with a metronome that clicks in 7 online? The one I have clicks in 4 but I'm cheap to buy a new one lol. I'm workin on a tune and I can't play in 7 very well so is there a program out there, for free, that does that?

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  3. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thinking about that really doesn't help me concentrate on my playing :p

How about "HopeIPlayTheNextNoteRight" - that's seven syllables :D

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Well, I try not to think about Gina while saying it. <g>

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sorry, don't know about a free one. But you can probably find some old trinomes (which is great for metric modualtion stuff, cause you can set up 3 seperate time feels) on ebay or something.

Otherwise, the Boss Dr. Ryhthm (? or something like that) can do odd time signatures. Or a drum machine.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I use a drum machine for practicing that kind of stuff - a lot of them will only do 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4 , but this is OK as a lot of things like this are in groups of 2s 3s and 4s - I still have a tune in 15/4, programmed into my microcomposer as groups of 5 bars of 3/4, that I was practicing several years ago! ;)

So- you could programme - bar of 3, then bar of 4 etc. etc.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Drum machine, sequencer can do what you need, you can also simplify. 7 = 3 beats + 4 beats = 2 beats + 2 beats + 2 beats + 1 beat.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I do not want t osound sarcastic but can't you just turn on the metronome you have and count ? I have never seen a metronome that only beat in one meter.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Next, on Beat the Meters...

I hear ya D, the problem comes in when you either want a different sound to demarcate the downbeat or if you want it to click pulse (like two half notes and two dotted quarters) instead of beat.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I understand that E... I must be living in the Stone Age.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Is that what Warmbaton's "pipe" remarks are about?

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    stoned age ? nah, gave that up long time ago...

13. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Try a Boss Dr. Beat DB88 metronome. The thing will do anything... of course it costs around $150.

14. The Korg metronome can beat in 7, and it is relativeley inexpensive ($25-32).

-Jason

15. yea i'm wantin what Ed was sayin. something that gives the beat 1 or beat 7 and 1 so that i can kind of freely play and get the feel down. my deal is i can't count in seven and play at the same time, the feeling is just to foriegn. i'm not multi-talented like you cats lol