Metronome madness

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by The Biz, Apr 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Anyone have a recommendation for a good quality, quartz or mechanical metronome?

I have a digital one that is annoying as can be. It’s much too loud to begin with, but it also has a pronounced beep on the first beat which annoys me even more.

I just want a nice woodblock type click; at a normal listening volume (they seem to design them for Metal drummers), but that can take a drop or ten…my last one lasted over 20 years and about 2500 drops. it'd be nice to find something that tough.

No phone apps please…

2. I've got a Franz quartz (EM 700) that's been around forever. Volume control, straight click or accented first beat for 2-3-4/4 or 6/8, blinking light for silent time-keeping. Decent and sturdy.

The Biz likes this.
    The Biz likes this.
  4. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I've got the Korg KDM2. It's easy to use, can go from quiet to loud enough to hear over slapping, has a nice wooden tick on the one, tock on the other beats, AND (luckily for me) it's fairly idiot proof

5. sean_on_bass

sean_on_bass

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I know you said no phone apps...but wanted to at least call out the Google metronome. Go to Google, search metronome, and off you go. Might help some folks in a pinch.

6. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Wittner Taktell, baby! No batteries required! Mine is at least 55 years old and still ticking away.

Winoman likes this.
  7. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    I've used the old Franz LM-4s for so many years, I've just grown accustomed to that satisfying, mechanical *thwak* they produce.

They don't make them any more, and they can be finicky and difficult to calibrate, but so many were made, I figure I'll always be able to find one on Ebay if I need another.

Metro.jpeg

Winoman likes this.
  8. pbass888

pbass888 Up the Irons! Westham United FC--mile high irons Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    Wittner MT50 Quartz Metronome | Cascio Interstate Music

Best clean click and I have Wittner, Yamaha, korg . Etc.
    This is the best I’ve used even compared to high priced ones, and it’s loud.
    Sounds like a happy horse walking down the street.

PS. Easy to read numbers for those of us ‘experienced’ bassists.