1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metronome recommendation

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by thedbassist, Mar 29, 2009.

1. thedbassist

thedbassist

Sep 10, 2006
    I'm looking for a loud, dependable(and hopefully long lasting) metronome, does anybody have any suggestions? My teacher has an old Dr. Beat but I'm not sure if the newer models are as loud so I'd thought I'd try and get a well rounded opinion. Thanks for your suggestions and happy bass playing.

Btw, I know this doesn't really belong in the "orchestral technique" forum, I'm just hoping to get a quick response so I'm using this forum because it gets more traffic(I think) than the Miscellaneous forum.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
  3. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    I use that and other online metronomes quite a bit, but for more advanced applications they don't have the functionality.

My teacher has a Boss DB-90, and after using that a bunch at lessons I finally ordered one. You can get them for $120-130 new if you shop around, or used for 75-100. check ebay.

Cheers,

Jeff

4. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=210

Korg KDM 2...It's amazing, I use it every day.

It's extremely loud, has good beat divisions but most importantly it has drones on every pitch that are super loud. I don't even use a tuner anymore...I just tune to the drone.

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I have a Dr Beat DR-88 with which I'm very happy.

I've never tried the Korg KDM-2, but Korg makes great stuff. Maybe order both and return the one you like less?

6. 98mtd

98mtd

May 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use the Matrix MR-500 Quartz Metronome. It's reliable.

7. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    the cheap SEIKOs are virtually indestructible, the are loud, though not the loudest, they are just $40 as opposed to others in the hundreds.

I still have the Dr Beat for its volume and other features.

One of my doctors died, and when this happened my seiko was there to the recue. The doctors use up a lot of batteries so if you don't have a power outlet the seiko is always there.

8. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I will throw in my recommendation in for the Sabine Zipbeat. It is simple and easy, but has a couple of nice features like adjustable accented downbeat and sweeping LEDs. And, as per your request, it is loud.

9. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    I really like my DB-30. It's small, loud, provides pitches that are kind of screechy, has tons of beat groupings, accents, subdivisions and a sweeping "arm". It cost me about $40, and I'm still on the first battery.

10. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    That metronome is much nicer than this one, but there is one problem: it doesn't have an A440 pitch! If it had a tuning note, I would have quickly bookmarked that one instead.

Nick

11. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007

What I use because...

1) Reasonably loud w/ adjustable volume
    2) Has adjustable click (0-6)
    3) Face dial to quickly change tempo - I hate manipulating a digital up or down... its too slow

Just don't drop it on a hard floor. I am on my second. About $40 I think.

I like the no cost computer ones, but I dont always play near a computer.

12. wiz0floyd

wiz0floyd

Sep 11, 2008
    Oakton, VA
    I'm very happy with the DB-60. It can get loud enough that I can't drown it out. It also has a headphone jack. Most importantly it has a "Tempo Tap" button which is extremely useful for clocking songs. I don't really use any of its rhythm features, but they're probably useful for people who like them. :)

13. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Hmm.. tempo tap, that could be interesting.

Just get an electronic metronome, the old wind up kind show their weaknesses in slower tempos when you don't have them perfectly level.

14. altruego

altruego

Jun 6, 2008
    Oregon, USA
    I have a Boss Dr. Beat DB-90. It's pricey but it's worth it. Can't beat it IMHO.

15. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
  16. altruego

altruego

Jun 6, 2008
    Oregon, USA
    I've got one of these and they do work but what I have found is that the "beat" from the transducer is really long. It's not like a click more like a buzz that a cell phone makes when it's on vibrate. It made it hard for me to find the top of the beat.

my two cents.

17. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    If you have an iPhone/iPod touch, try Metronome. It's only a few bucks. I like it.

It has several useful features:
    • Tap tempo (this--in conjunction with visual-only mode--was very helpful on a gig when I was a newbie in the band)
    • Visual-only mode
    • Choice of number of beats per measure (I stopped looking after 20)
    • Choice of which beats to accent
    • Selectable click sounds for main and accents
    • Pitch drone (a long beep)
    • Presets (saved rhythms)
    • Very accurate (see Web site for oscilloscope shots)