1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metronome speed when practicing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Just J, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Just J

Just J Guest

Jul 27, 2007
    Just curious on the general concensus on this.

I usually try to set the metronome to JUST over my max fingering (snicker) speed. Slow enough to where I can nail the majority of the notes and get an even tone, fast enough to where I still make mistakes.

I know practicing bad technique amplifies it, so I'm just curious if I'm going about this the right way, or if I should set it for just UNDER my max fingering speed.

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    You should set the tempo so slow you can play everything well with a good technique. Then raise the tempo, slowly. Never raise it before you have everything under control with the new tempo.

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

Plus work on slow tempos they are much harder to keep good time with than fast.

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Slow is the key to fast.
    Play it slow. See how difficult it is to play at a very slow tempo.
    Every note should sound true and fat, no mistakes. Practice the same exercise many times at that slow speed without mistakes. Then slowly increase.

Here's a little tip - have the metronome click on beats 2 and 4 only- see what that does for your time feel.

5. Just J

Just J Guest

Jul 27, 2007
    Ok, thx for the tips. :bassist: