Metronome vs Drum machine

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Paulb7664, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Hi all.
    Metronome's are a good thing, but that click drives me mad!! I think a drum machine would be far better.
    Is there a drum machine that you can lay down some chords on??
    Now that would be very cool!!! :hyper:

2. LeftSide

Mar 6, 2005
    i think a metronome is good for working on timing and speed. However, if you want someting more creative, go for a drum machine.
  3. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a Digitech BNX 3 which is a bass multiprocessor/amp simulator/drum machine/8 track recorder. I use this to work on my timing, and the drum machine has several standard settings. Only downfall is that you can't set up your own drum patterns. When I want to do something a bit more complex, I go to the metronome setting and do it that way.
  4. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Drum machines = way more fun! Gotta be progammable. I use an old TR505.

If a metronome is all I have then I hear the clicks as 2 & 4 if I'm thinkin' 4/4 time.
  5. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    Due to the fact that drum machines can function as a metronome, via programming a click track, and more, I prefer drum machines.

6. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Drum machine, of course! easiest way = take Guitar Pro, make some drum pattern, loop it, and here you go! :)
  7. The advantage of a metronome is that a simple click gives you nowhere to hide poor time, while a drum machine can be more forgiving. Of course, most drum machines probably have a click sound built in. I recommend spending time with that.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Lemur makes a good point. Practicing is about working on things you aren't good at, and a metronome will expose your timing issues. If you ever want to weep like a little girl, just record yourself playing with a metronome - works for me every time.

Playing with a drum machine is definitely more fun, and there's no reason why you can't do both during a practice session. Still, for improving time I would say go with the 'nome.
  9. Have you considered downloading some drum loops and using those?? I find it a pretty good tool for timing and noodling around with. I find a cool loop, toss it into Sound Forge, slow it down or speed it up as needed and just set it to repeat.
  10. practise with a me theres no substitue for the real its lots more fun....and you learn to interact with the drummer...jam with as many people as possible, but if that aint possible, drum machine it and keep it simple to start with, then start playin with swing feels
  11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC

The metronome leaves you with nowhere to hide. Sadly, this is what you want.

Drum machine for the artist in you, metronome for when you want bare bones, break it down practice.
  12. orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    The Boss JamStation will let you lay down chords and even change the style in which they are played. It is a perfect practive tool.

That said... I prefer a drum machine over a metronome for regular practice, but if you can get to where you can groove to only a click you are making good progress.
  13. junkman510

May 2, 2005
    Lebanon, PA
    The metronome with the swinging bar is best. You get a visual que to help you see when the beat is coming up. Really good for practicing on playing behind or before the beat. A flashing light just does not do the job.
  14. Actual mechanical metronomes are prone to drifting tempos though. Also, they may not be adjustable in small enough increments.
  15. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Sounds perfect! My drummer is prone to drifting and inaccurate tempos also! :hyper:
  16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I much prefer to play along with a drum machine, like say, I'll get my bass out and my brother will get his guitar, we'll decide on a rhythm and just let the magic happen, as I fidn that ahving a beat like that really aids improvisation.

With a metronome, It's really just for me to practive with.

I do use both however, and feel that neither is anything less than invaluable.
  17. Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    I have Alesis SR-16 drum machine. I love it a lot. I don't like to practice with built-in rhythms or something like that, instead of that I made different "metronome-like" patterns (for example: 4/4, 8/8, 16/16, 12/8 etc. with kick on 1st beat, rim-shot on 2-3-4 and hi-hat playing 8's, 16's and so on). I also programmed a swing exercise (hi-hat on 2&4), son/rumba clave (2:3, 3:2). It works.
  18. Like Low_blow, I too have an Alesis SR-16 - unlike LB, I love randomly punching up a pre-set and jamming along with it. If I am practicing scales or other exercises, having the drum machine toss a reggae rhythm or a syncopated complex time rhythm at you makes those exercises go to the next level.

19. hijack - you are not the stu hamm man :D :ninja: