Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metronome

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ChristineMFer, Sep 8, 2005.

1. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

Jul 28, 2005
    I was thinking of purchasing a metronome to play along with and I'm looking for recommendations. Does anyone here use a metronome? if so, what type/style do you prefer.

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I prefer a traditional pendulum (?) metronome. But there's a down-side... cheap ones can be uneven.

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the electronic ones are more accurate. The most important thing is that you can get it to do unaccented beats and that it is loud enough that you can hear it well.

Just go to the local music store and see what they have. You should be able to get something nice for $20~$25

4. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I have a Matrix M500 that is nice and loud and works really well. Paid about 20 dollars for it.

Timing is everythng in music. Metronome and using it will get you there.

IMHO

tk

5. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    Metronome is bass player's best friend.
    It is reliable and trusty. Like some one said buy an electronic one and if you can have subdivisions as well,go for it.
    I found that sometimes it is better to practice with a single metronome playing like on 2&4 then having a drum machine playing all the subs. for you.

SB

6. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    my 'nome has a lot more capability than I need. I generally don't use any subdivisions. I can't remember having it beat more often than quarter notes. Usually I have it on 2 and 4. Learn to feel those subdivisions without the help from the drums.

7. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    There are a bunch of electronic metronomes with all kinds of features, but I think anything that can keep a beat is good enough, really. However, my metronome has no way of changing the volume of the clicks, so that might be something to look for...

There are also PC based metronomes that you can download, just about any of them should be sufficient until you find what you're looking for.

8. My daughter's metronone has a high-pitched bleep, and it really gets on your nerves after a while. My advice would be to go for a click.

I have a Sabine 9000 which also includes a tuner, all in a small case. It has a reasonable wood-block sound, so I can listen too it for a whole practice session without it getting to me.

http://www.sabine.com/sabine-music-accessories/mt-9000.htm

9. TomAngelripper

TomAngelripper

Aug 30, 2005
    You really want a metronome?Well...think about it! :eyebrow:

10. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I really hope you're joking about that!
    I believe that any serious bass player should own a metronome and USE IT,period!

SB

11. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Timing is everything to playing a bass or music period. You choose to ignore it then you are wrong IMHO.

The metronome is what will teach you timing.

nuff said

tk

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Remember that thread I started about "Why do I even bother?" That's how I feel when I see a comment like Tom AngelRipper's.

Of course you need a metronome! It doesn't matter what kind it is, it doesn't matter how much it costs, all that matters is it keeps good time.

I am extremely impressed with this freeware metronome for the computer called Zetronome. Google it and it's easily found. Nothing beats a metronome you can take with you, but Zetronome is free and it's very versatile.

BTW, ChristineMFer, are you an MFer as in Matt Hardy Mattitude Follower? If so, you better be an MFer while you can, because it looks like WWE is about to bury him for good!

13. TomAngelripper

TomAngelripper

Aug 30, 2005
    i use a metronome but come on...who likes it? :eyebrow:

14. I like playing with a metronome. It's fun to have a steady beat in the background.

15. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    +1

16. It's been said before, but not on this thread -

A metronome on one click per beat is a crutch, much like a drum machine. It is fun to play along, but may not help you much.

The way to improve is to move to one click every two beats, then one click every four beats, and practice putting the missing beats in by ear.

17. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Well, I tried to play with a metronome, and I think it didn't bring any use to me. I don't know what's so hard to play in an even tempo. :bag: I'm not trying to pose myself as an uber-pro (cuz I amn't), but seriously - I don't think that I need one. Anyway, like it was said, it's nice to have a beat at the background (like a micro-drum-machine, lol) :D

18. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    The answer lies in keep trying.

tk

19. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I dont see any point in it... What purpose can it bring to me? The stuff I play may have some technical laws, but it is always precise when speaking about tempo.

20. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    You can slow down get it right then move up in tempo and have it right is my take on it.

tk