Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

metronome

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TopOfCool, Jun 14, 2002.

1. I'm a little confused regarding use of a metronome in my studies. One author-teacher, Ed Friedland, strongly recommends the use of the metronome early and often in gaining and understanding of timing and rhythm On the other hand, I have read strongly worded comments from Jeff Berlin that the device is relatively useless for such ends.

I'm just getting to the point where I can play from read and play from simple standard notation, but rhythm control is still giving me problems. A particular problem is getting a handle on measures with just a few eighth notes mixed in with lots of rests.

I have a keyboard that can create 100+ drum and metronome beats and time signatures. I can't tell whether using the metronome is good, bad, ugly or pointless.

Any suggestions from those who've faced a similar quandry or who have found the use of a metronome helpful?

2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    IMO a metronome is helpful. It is up to you in the long run whether you use one to aide in your studies or not. If you look around TB and even elsewhere you will find ppl have differing opinions.

By what you stated above, if you are having problems with rests and eight notes, a metronome can be extremely helpful on clearing that problem. You can set the the metronome to a slow pace and work your way up to a faster pace. You will get it, just take your time and don't get discouraged. :)

3. Thanks for the encouragement. I did find the former thread on this topic helpful as well.