Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metropolitan basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I owned the surf green Metropolitan that they show on their website. It's now owned by Tim Sarter. Cool bass of very good quality but the neck was very wide yet flat and not to my liking.

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    ps: Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick has a pink one.

3. how was the sound? Anything you can compare it to?

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The two Rio Grande humbuckers reminded me a bit like a pre-1980 T-Bird....lots of mid-range honk. The biggest objection I had with it was the placement of a 3-way toggle right smack dab in the middle of the upper body bout. It's not a problem for Tim as his right hand positioning is closer to the bridge than mine is but it really got in the way for me. I have some pics of it somewhere...will look.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Here's a shot of Tim holding this bass at Dudefest II.

[​IMG]

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Look like a guild guitar or somethin, ya close to a Ric. Definitely not me.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Geez, you guys are lame...

They are copies of the old Supro/National basses of the 1960s.

I own an original Supro bass with a more traditional body shape (kinda like a double cut Les Paul). The so-called "map shape" bodies in "res-o-glas" were the high end models of the line.

One improvement Metropolitan made is a realistic scale length. The original Supros had a scale of 25" :eek: which makes them tough to play due to super low string tension.

Way ahead of their time features included a pickup built into the bridge (not sure if it's piezo or not) and hollowed out bodies.

8. When I took a looka t them, "Rumblefish" was what I thought. Definetly a unique style. Not my thing though.

Is that short scale there, Dude? The neck looks awfully short. Of course this comes from a guy who feel most comfortable on a 35" neck. :p

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    It's a 34" scale.