Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

.mew.'s Custom Eshenbaugh 6 Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by .matthew e wengerd., Jul 6, 2005.

1. Well, I thought I would finally devote a thread to my custom Eshenbaugh which has been in the works since April. On 07 April 2005, I placed my deposit with Jay @ blueberryhill bass for a six sting single cut in the old Black Forest design.

It is still up in the air whether this is technically a Black Forest (BF) 6 or an SC6, as the current BF design has evolved quite a bit.

Specs:

• Eshenbaugh single-cut (old BF style)
    • 6-string
    • Koa top (full top)
    • Swamp ash center block
    • Alder body wings
    • Koa back laminate on body wings (center ash exposed)
    • Koa front headstock laminate
    • Grain-matched Koa control cavity cover
    • No face dots
    • No side dots
    • Abalone 12th fret inlay (shown below)
    • 5-piece neck of 4 stringers and "black" center highlight stripe (maple/black limba/black accent stripe/black limba/maple)
    • Gaboon Ebony Fingerboard
    • 24 standard frets
    • Custom THG knobs (ebony knobs capped in koa)
    • IN-Place bridge (ebony bridge w/ferrules...like on amboyna Brado)
    • Abalone headstock inlay
    • Aguilar OPB-3 3-band preamp (with Active/Passive push/pull, 3-way mid switch, and coil taps).
    • Two Nordstrand Dual Coils
    • Brass nut
    • Gaboon Ebony over Koa pickup covers with white accent lines (matching radius)
    • Koa over Gaboon Ebony finger ramp (matching radius)
    [​IMG]

2. Jay found this piece of Koa from Big Island Koa:

[​IMG]

And the first progress pics came:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    :eek:

YOU HAVE BULLETS ON THERE!

EDIT: Oh yeah... nice bass. :p

4. I've been a major pain in Jay's rear, but he has been accomodating and taken it in stride, assuring me my bass is being worked on (I get paranoid after a somewhat drawn-out DB purchase) and pics of the neck wood finally arrived:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was followed by some recent pics of the glued up neck/headstock and some Ebony fbs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Looking very nice Matthew!

6. Thank you for the kind words!

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    slick piece of koa!

8. Yes, bullets are available in advanced mode; under the font size drop-down.

And thanks for the complement :p

9. Thanks! You can see it at the SE US/Florida GTG, as long as it's in September or later....:D

10. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Koa is one of my favorites!
    Congrats.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Looks like it will be quite nice?

Why no side dots, if I may ask? Especially when there will be no face dots....

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Nah...aint' no thang budda' chicken wang! :smug: I absolutely LOVE how the koa top and back have turned out. Who-ah! ;)

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Looking great!! I really wanted to try an Eshenbaugh at Brian's (Barrett) booth at last summer's NAMM.. Unfortunately I didn't get to..

:(

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Man, I'm telling you, I am having a hard time identifying all these luthiers with European-sounding names, single-cut models and extra fancy woods. :bag:

15. Cliff:

You've always been so kind and complementary. As soon as I start my new job (middle school orchestra teacher) and get some free time, I'm gonna come see you!

Bryan:

Part of it's a pride thing (I don't need no stinking dots!) and a huge part is the fact that they are superfluous and detract from the cleanliness of the design. That and it's one less thing that takes any bit of time, making the build time longer.

Jay:

That top drops my jaw more and more...I can't wait to see what it looks like when the body is shaped and there's a bit more contrast from the front.

Mark:

Honestly, I haven't played an Eshenbaugh in quite a while. I'll be seeing what's at Atlanta Bass Gallery when I visit Altanta next week.

Lefty:

The SC isn't too well known around these parts, and I don't think it'll ever go out of style for me. I love Fenders, but there's somuch personality in a bass that one guy (or maybe two) created the instrument you play.

Lastly:

I'm going to see my bass next weekend!!! Mark is a littke over two hours from Atlanta, so I'll be taking a morning to let my wife sleep in really late and visit. Hopefully I'll have some good pics to bring back!

16. Oh, and it will have that infamous Eshenbaugh headstock:

[​IMG]

17. I'll be seeing my bass in progress on Friday! Making a trip to Atlanta and then a side-trip to Greer, SC to visit Mark at his shop. Quite exciting!

18. I spoke with Mark yesterday and confirmed I will be visitng the shop tomorrow morning! I'll be bringing back pictures of my bass as well as jacocops'.

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Very nice, Mark does great work!
    Look forward to seeing completed pictures.

JPJ- is Mark coming to NAMM this year?

20. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Nope...I've locked him in his workshop. He's got work to do! :smug:

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to being there this year, and looking forward to hanging out with you and Chris. :) One more week......