1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mex jazz vs classic vibe jazz , am I an idiot???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattpbass, Jun 21, 2014.

1. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    Today I sold my mexican jazz bass and decided that I'll be keeping the squier cv jazz for these reasons

The cv sounded better , more definition , low end and better slap tone

Build quality on the cv is better , especially the neck , fret work is perfect , the mex had sharp frets

Better pickups vs the fridge magnets on the mex

Nice bridge and saddles on squier , as apposed to the bent steal on mex

Am I totally wrong here???

Thoughts ??

blindrabbit likes this.
  2. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    How could you be wrong if you feel these things like you describe? You'd be wrong to see it that way but keep the Fender for decal on the headstock or something like this.

3. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    You're not crazy at all. We all like what we like, what sounds good, looks good and feels good to us individually. You'd be crazy to keep a bass solely for the name on the headstock.

4. Not crazy at all. You like what you like. You would be crazy if you had kept the MIM over the CV just because it said Fender on the headstock.

5. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    Thanks guys , yeah the cv is killer!!!

6. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    But it's always dictated by the gear snobs lol, how can a bass player that earns bucks gigging use a squier ...

7. inate_hex

inate_hex

Apr 4, 2010
    Manchester, England
    I occasionally wet the bed.
    It doesn't matter what name is on the headstock. If you prefer the cv then you have made the correct decision.

Musicman Bongo club #175

8. I once did a direct comparison of Fender J-Basses at a local music store and my ranking put the CVs ahead of MIM Standards but behind MIAs and MIJs. I was slightly surprised by this, but it seemed very clear that the Squier was the better bass. Now, the higher-end MIMs like the Road Worn and Classic series is another story.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  9. As I think about it, I realize why I have a dim view of MIM Standards. If you buy one new, you might as well spend a few bucks more on a used MIA, or about the same money on a used MIM Classic. If you buy one used, you might as well spend the money on a CV or old USA Peavey. Just my opinion. I've owned a couple MIMs from different eras (early 2000s and 2012), and was badly disappointed both times.

10. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    You're not crazy at all. I bought a Mex Fender P "Special/Deluxe" off of the TB classifieds: I don't really remember because I haven't played it in so long. Then a few months later bought a CV 60's P off of the same classifieds here at our very own Talkbass (huge fan of the classifieds here in case you can't tell) and the CV P has been "the" bass for me since then. As you said frets are sharp on the Mexi, neck on the CV is killer, no matter how hard I try the Mexi will not set up as nicely as the CV.

The CV crushes the Mexi in tone and feel. The only difference aside from your's being a Jazz is that I can't find anyone locally to buy my Mexi. Gotten bites from a local classified site around here and Craigslist, but no one ever shows up to take the bass to their house.

Also about the stigma that Squier carries around is ridiculous. I used to feel the same way about them (played a lot of crappy ones I guess) but the ones I've played recently are awesome and I'd highly recommend them to anyone. What I did to get around the BS associated with playing a Squier was put a piece of painter's tape on the headstock and wrote my bands name in silver Sharpie, so no one knows the difference and instead of, "Yo what's up with the Squier?" I get, "Oh man! Dat bass!"

maestrovert likes this.
  11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    never under-estimate the power of the decal...

Eric66 and MovingPitchers like this.
  12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If there's one thing I know, it's "crazy/mad/off-yer-rocker/etc", and this ain't it! :angel:

I had a beautifully put-together CV Jazz once. It kicked so much ass that it made me abandon the "…for the price I paid for it" suffix often used in regards towards lower-cost instruments. The only reason I still don't have it was to trade it towards a Classic '70s Jazz <nods to Pet Sounds> due to it's more-agreeable ergonomics.

Love the Hell out of it, Matt! In a way, I'm actually glad to hear you're experiencing this wee bit o' conflict in your head. It means you've found something that makes you question the import of the headstock-logo/country-of-origin and holds it up against the actual feel and sound you get out of it.

huckleberry1 likes this.
  13. I still keep and play my MIA P and J and a MIJ PJ but after having auditioned several Squiers, even the el-cheapo Affinity, was more than impressed by their sound, looks and build quality. Next time I happen to have an extra $200 when in the neighborhood of a GC, I will definitely pull the trigger on one of those beauties.

14. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    The Squier CV is the first bass that made me say to h#ll with where it's made. Get 'em while you can, cause you know they'll eventually have to downgrade.

15. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    The CV Jazz is one of the best jazzers out there IMO.

blindrabbit and rujulian like this.
  16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Whatever makes you happy, can be a $100 or a 10,000 USD

17. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    thanks for the reply guys!! there are new cv,s coming out, black with a tort gaurd they look great! ive replaced my cv pickups , ive got pickups that came out of a usa special jazz ,sounds even better now!! those are the same pickups that are in the road worn and classic series ..

18. Plenty of people do, every day.

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. You like what you like. Doesn't have to work any other way than that.

20. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    pretty wild how these two posts are pretty much saying the same thing. Sentence for sentence. posted 22 minutes apart.