Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexi Jazz Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mophead, Jan 5, 2006.

1. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Ran across a Fender Mexi Jazz bass today that I have not seen before. It was sunburst with a neck like an American made Jazz. The truss rod adjustment was in the body end of the neck instead of the normal headstock location just past the nut. The serial number was on the back side of the headstock with MZ10xxxx vs normally being on the front side. Maple (at least maple colored) neck with a rosewood fretboard. The grain of the wood seemed different from most that you see. The frets were smooth like an American made vs the normally sharper frets of a Mexi made. Seems like most of the Mexi made frets are sharp, at least the ones I have picked up. Any special runs of Mexi basses that anyone knows of? Maybe this is a special collector model made in Mexico, or not?
    Just curious if anyone has ever seen one similar to this. The neck really caught my eye with the truss rod on the body end, thinking I had picked up an American made, but flipping the bass around saw the Mexi serial number on the back of the headstock.
    Strange but legit?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It could be an MIM 60's RI Jazz?

3. mophead

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Thanks for the reply Nino. I had not considered a MIM reissue. I thought all the reissues came from Japan or USA. I'm sure no expert on these things so thanks for the info.

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Sounds like a Classic 60' Jazz. If it has the vintage style reverse tuners and the s/n on the back of the headstock....that is what it is. They are the best basses to come out of Mexico.

5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Definately a Classic 60s Reissue Jazz. I've got one coming in the mail and can't wait.

6. mophead

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Thanks to all for the info. It appears to be the 60's reissue with the reverse tuners. Bought it yesterday but have not had a chance to sit down and play it except at the store where I got it. It is a really nice bass. The neck pocket is very nice and the rest of it is nearly flawless.
    I am considering putting the 62 stack knob concentric control scheme on this. Anyone ever used this setup? Might look pretty cool.
    Thanks again for all the help.