Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexican Fender Jazz and Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spud12, Jul 30, 2000.

1. Spud12

Spud12

Jul 30, 2000
    I recently purchased a Mexi Fender Jazz and when i got it home it was fine. After
    playing for about 4 hours straight, I put it away and went to sleep. When I
    got up the next morning and played it, every single fret on the E string
    made this serious buzzing sound. It's VERY bad...is this common with mexican
    made jazzes? or does the bass need to be "worked in"? I'm kind of upset
    because I was expecting a decent quality instrument. It still does this (about one week later). Can someone please help me? Is there a way to fix it? Should I call the store where I bought it.

Thanks a lot for any advice or help.

2. lowend

lowend

Apr 1, 2000
    I had my standard jazz for about 3 months now and had the same problem. I changed the strings (GHS boomers) and no more buzz. The tone even improved.

3. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    You can and will get buzz from time to time.Changes in weather has a whole lot to do with it.Changing to strings with different tension can cause buzz as well.From time to time you will have to make neck and/or bridge adjustments.Its the nature of wood instruments.From the most expensive custom jobs to the bargain basement jobs.Its just the nature of the beast.Good luck!

4. Spud12

Spud12

Jul 30, 2000
    What can I do to the bridge to possibly kill the buzz? (and how do i do so)

Thanks guys...the people on alt.bass arent helping at all.

5. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Just raising the saddles should help but it would be best to check the neck first as thats probably whats causing the problem to start with.You should find all the info you need at the Fender instrument site for setups/adjustments,etc.If your worried about trying it yourself your dealer can do it for you.Good luck!

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have the same prob. with my MIM Fender. It was REALLY bad the day I got it, so I took it back and told them the prob and they said they just forgot to do the basic setup on it. They adjusted the neck and the bridge and it worked fine, although I have to be careful where I play on the E or still buzzes a little bit. I would just ask them to make sure that they set it up when they got it.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey do what i did.....take it in & say hey my e string is buzzing like crazy....an hour later, a new truss rod,& some fret work later the only place where it buzzes is around 15-17 fret on the e....& since it was under warranty they only made us pay for strings....so for all that i got my bass fixed to great playabilty & sound for only $24..(the strings where onsale....Fender Original 45-100)

8. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Nobody ever likes this answer, but I'll toss it out there anyway:

My first Fender's E string used to buzz like an SOB and wouldn't stop until I realized that it was my technique that was causing it. I notice this alot in beginning and even intermediate students (I teach) and developing a lighter touch on the E string is fundamental to playing the instrument correctly.

Went through the same thing when I got my first 5 string...thought the B string was a mess until I fixed my approach to it, now it's just fine.

Just a thought.

-GM

9. j_d8

j_d8

Aug 3, 2000
    The same thing has happend my bass....I gave t to my dad...he playes bass...and he fixed it...give it to someone who has played bass a long time...I think he or she can fix it..