Mexican Fender Jazz pickup sizes???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miketallica315, Nov 20, 2015.

1. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Hello to all,
    It's been some time since my last posting and I need some help from my friends here at TalkBass. I very recently purchased a used Mexican Fender fretless made in 1996. I ordered some new pickups for it, the Super 55's. These pickups are too large to fit in the bridge cavity.
    My question is does anyone here know if the pickup sizing changed in the Mexican basses after 1996? Are all Mexican Fender bridge pickup cavities always, including now the smaller size versus the Japan and American made Fender Jazz Basses?
    I am looking at buying another one, hopefully of a later model.
    I would greatly appreciate your knowledge on the subject here and your thoughts and opinions on the matter. I would like to note that altering the size of the cavity is not an option. I haven't the knowledge or tools to perform such a task. Thanks again!!!

2. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Yes, Mexican Jazz basses were made with 2 neck pickups instead of a proper neck and bridge combo, back in the '90s. It was only the MIMs that were made that way and they stopped doing that around 2000-2001.

I used to own a '97 MIM Jazz and I put a set of Bartolinis in mine, which were made specifically for the MIM (both pups the same width). I don't know if they still make them anymore, but you can find our here: WWW.bartolini.net

3. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Thank you very much for the help. I just bought another one used through Guitar Center's website. I'm hoping that it is a later model. If it isn't then perhaps I will just purchase two Supper 55 neck pickups, but I'm really hoping that it is a later model so that I don't have to do that. Not to mention, I believe that Fender Mexico's quality is super in the 2000's than they were in the 1990's. Of course, this is only my opinion. Thanks again.

4. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I had a local pickup winder wind me a bridge pickup on a neck bobbin. It fit's reasonably well (not perfect, but it does fit without modification). The combination of the two worked out perfectly.

5. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I just bought another fretless just hours ago. So long as the date listed on the ticket is correct (2007), I'm in the clear!!! I can't wait to get those Super 55's in that bass.

6. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Let us know how you like 'em. I've been thinking about putting a Super55 in the neck position of a jazz bass that has a MM-style humbucker at the bridge. The single coil/humbucker combo is too noisy for me.

7. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    You got it, man!!!

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

@miketallica315; It's funny you mentioned this. I've posted extensively about this old, cost-cutting measure of Fender's…specifically, in regards to the discontinued "Squier Standard" series. It's an issue that's been a thorn in my side ever since I started modding my first Squier Standard Jazz.

Currently, I'm on my third Standard-J, which is also the only straight-up J/J-Jazz in my collection. I also, like you, have a set of Super 55's waiting to be put to use. However, unlike you, I've decided to go the "re-route the damn thing!" path. So, about a week or so ago, I had my local Guitar Center tech do some additional routing which turned out to be pretty minimal. Now the pickups fit just fine. If you're even the least bit curious, I'll post some pics to show how far the process is from being considered "drastic". ;)

miketallica315 likes this.
  9. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    @Malak the Mad
    Thanks much for the reply. I'm really looking forward to the Super 55's. Fender hit it out of the park with those.
    I'd be very much interested in seeing the work you've had done. I didn't know that Guitar Center did routing work. Was it expensive?

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I can't speak for other GC locations, but mine certainly does. It didn't cost me much at all, about $30. It turned out to only be a minor amount of wood removed…call it a "haircut", at most. I'll start sharing pics as soon as I can, so everyone can see what a relatively minor procedure it is.

I'm pretty excited to hear what it sound like. I have a Super 55 in the bridge spot of my P/J parts bass, but I've never had a pair of them working in tandem. From all accounts, it should be quite awesome! :hyper:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021