Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mexican fender jazz to american

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blahhhhh, Jun 18, 2005.

1. blahhhhh

blahhhhh

Jun 18, 2005
    I own a mexican fender jazz. I am trying to get it to sound more like a American fender jazz, without paying the ridiculous price. I plan on changing the bridge to a bad ass II. I am trying to change the pick ups, but I do not know which ones to get to get an american sound. Any suggestions would help a lot, since I am not very educated with this. Thank you.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    By the time you change all that stuff out, you probably could have bought a used American for the same price. But if you want to change them out, the best ones to use for the cheapest price that I've seen are the 62 Reissue Fenders.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The American Jazz basses have graphite rods in the neck to add stiffness and enhance sustain. Because of this, the two instruments respond differently.

What "American" characteristics are you trying to achive that your stock MIM Jazz doesn't already have?

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Installing a badassII bridge will not make your bass "sound" more like an American bass it will sound a tad brighter. MIA pups or other after market pups will only fit your bass without modification if it's a 2001 and newer bass. Older MIM basses had poplar bodies and same size pups. The sound of MIA basses come from body material, the graphite neck plays into the equation as well as the heavy strings you can use safely. When you by a MIA bass you are paying for a bass that needs nothing as far as mods go, it's a plug and play bass. On the other hand MIM basses are meant to be an entry level Fender bass that will lend itself to modifications to your personal taste.
    I own a 99 MIM p-bass with Fralin pups and cts pots in it, does it sound like a MIA bass? I'm not sure but it does sound a whole lot better than it did with the low end being cleaned up nicely, the bass really sounds good but not exactly like a MIA bass. I also have a 02 MIM p-bass with Duncan spb3 pups in it and I don't know what it sounds like (jury's still out). The bass sounds different, not necesarally(SP) better.

5. blahhhhh

blahhhhh

Jun 18, 2005
    Well, I don't know anything about pick ups or making one bass sound like another. So can you suggest me a very reasonable priced set of pick ups? The sound I'm really going for is a really deep bassy sound. I don't know if that depends on the strings or the pick ups.

6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I'd go with DM ultra jazz, and maybe a bart or aguilar 2 band pre.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    When I think deep and bassy, I think Bartolini...but that was on a friend's bass.

The only aftermarket J pups that I have experience with are EMGs and they are very wide range and crisp.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A Fralin equipped MIM P Bass is a wonderful instrument... A guy in a local band used that combination exclusively and his tone knocked me out...

On topic...Blahhhhh, what is your budget for new pickups?

9. blahhhhh

blahhhhh

Jun 18, 2005
    No more than a 100. My friend said he'll put them in for me, so I want it to all round be like 100.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's what I play all my motown stuff on :bassist:

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'd go with the DM Ultra's. You should be able to score a pair for under a Bennie, if you surf around a little. You might even have enough left over for some CTS pots.