Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexican Fender Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 16, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i need your help with the Fender jazz bass 5 string models made in japan. as far as i know there are two models, the standard and the deluxe. the standard is passive and with standard single coils.
    the deluxe has a preamp and humbucking pickups.

i have never played one nad i'd like to know your opinion about the neck, fretwork and overall quality of these two basses. are there differences other than the electronics? how do these basses sound? i need one of them not only yo play, but because i have to test and A/B my homemade pickups for 5 strings basses in jazz format. so i need a 5 string jazz bass style. i'll put a j retro preamp in the bass i'll buy so the preamp quality of the deluxe is not an issue.

thanks a lot!

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i wrote made in japan but i intended made in mexico. sorry too much work....

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've played 3 mexi 5s but none of them the deluxe. All 3 necks felt like home to me immediately [pilot + 5 & mexi 4 string jazz]. Determining whether to save up money for a Sunburst 5 or add it to the downpayment on truck [in the summer] or wait a year or so and get American 5 is becoming a dilemma. oh well. Overall build quality felt good to me, what i'd expect from a fender-felt solid, nice strong. The b string made me realize somethin bout my pilots b.....now looking for replacement neck for the pilot to hopefully tighten it up a bit. The b felt the same tension as the rest of the strings-i was surprised. I've got nothing but praise for the mexi 5s as you can probably tell from this post.