Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexican Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Sep 6, 2005.

1. I just picked up a Fender fretless for $200. It is in perfect condition and very comfy to play. I really enjoy the passive pups and the tone they produce, however after recently playing a fretless with active pups I was wondering if I could convert mine to active or preferably have a passive/active switch. If possible should I go with bart pups or something like the fender noiseless? Any and all comments would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advace

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Do whatever you want,like and can afford with your PU's but before buying an onboard preamp,try building this:
    http://www.albertkreuzer.com/start.htm
    (look for the onboard preamp)
    It's a very straightforward and great sounding JB preamp,at a fraction of the cost!Much better than your "average branded preamp" because it uses J-Fets instead of cheap op-amps.
    HTH!
    Regards,

3. thanks for the link. does anyone else have any input or knowledge of someone who has done something similar? thanks again in advance