Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexican gig. Border issues?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by c-ba55, Sep 19, 2004.

1. I have a gig in Mexico in December. I want to know what will happen at the border going in and out. I'm flying from San Francisco to Ixtapa on Alaskan Air. All I'm bringing is a bass, a gig bag, a cable, and a tuner. Maybe an extra cable, extra strings, wrenches and duct tape and etc...

Two questions I guess. What will happen at the border, and has anybody flown on Alaska Air lately with a gig bag as a carry-on.

2. Just want to keep this on the front page for a while, because I am really hoping someone can answer.

I've heard something along the lines of anything you did not declare coming in, they tax you for on the way out.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    We went to Cancun this past summer on vacation... You need to take an official copy of your birth certificate... You'll go thru customs, which at the Cancun airport was kinda scary at the time. But, in retrospect, it was no big deal. Just remember this, you ARE in a foreign country. SO, don't do anything stupid that you might get in trouble for....

We didn't have any problems going through customs on the return trip, whatsoever. So, I'm not certain as to what considerations you'll need to make in regards to your equipment.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You'll probably want to call the airline ahead of time to see whether they'll let you take your bass as carry-on. Some will, some won't. Then you'll probably want to insure your gear with the equivalent of Mex-Insur for musical instruments, just call the Mexican consul in your area and they can point you in the right direction. Yes you'll want to declare everything you take in, and make a list and keep it somewhere safe. Don't forget your ID (passport, birth certificate, etc), they'll rake you over the coals if you don't have it, at the very least it'll end up being very expensive. And that reminds me, make sure you have a source of cash at all times. :)

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OMG, yea... But, exchange your USD into pesos at a bank. Shop around for exchange rates...

ALSO, DO NOT,,, whatever you do,, DO NOT fall for any of the BS that the supposed "Agencies that are here to help" at the airport. They're all corrupt hosers, who'll try to talk you into buying a timeshare condo... If you go on thier little tours, & do NOT buy one,, they'll leave you stranded & force you to pay like $50 for a cab ride back to town...

You can use your credit cards & they work just fine across the border, BUT, remember this.... If you use a credit card, make them charge your card in Peso's... If they charge you in dollars, double check the exchange rate they hit you for. If you let a vendor do the conversion,, they'll likely jack you. If your credit company does the conversion, you'll get a decent rate.

6. dude, you might seriously want to see what kind of power the place you are playing at has. i did a gig in mex about 2 years ago and my SWR blew up right as i turned it on. not good. Seriously. you'll be far from a shop that can help you out too..

7. Thanks guys. I have been to Mexico a dozen or so times, just never carrying anything of value in or out, and never flying. You can zip across the border in a car with zero inspection almost always.

Flying into airports, I imagine there's more to it. I've flown in and out of some other countries, where nothing much happened either. Some dogs sniffed my luggage, I filled out a form. This was last century though.

And the bass I'll bring will fittingly be my Made in Mexico Fender Jazz, which isn't really worth much anyway.

I just read this Mingus biography written by his wife. They go to Mexico for a last-chance faith healing and drink fresh Iguana's blood and so forth, but to no avail. Good read though.