Mexican Guitarron ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcbassdude, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Just got back from Cancun, Mexico and saw a couple of great Ranchero bands playing. The guy(s) on Guitarron were really great and had me thinking about finding one of these pup's. I did a thread search and found very little. What does anyone know about these cousins of the bass guitar. Tuning? The neck's seem very small length wise. They sure do carry though. They cut thru 2 acoustic guitars, 3 horns and a bunch of violins! I can't think of an ABG that'll do that!
  2. thefour

Jun 15, 2005
    the guitarron is a bass you using octaves. it is tuned (from low to high) A, D, G, C, E, A. the first three strings, ADG are metal; the last three strings, CEA are nylon. Guadalupe custom strings are, in my opinion, the best strigns available. when a note is played it is usually two strings at a time viz. the low open A and high open A is how the note A is played. for a decent cheap one, look for maybe a lonestar (Around $200-300) but if you want a nice one--Morales! him and his son make the custom out of GUADALAJARA, MEXICO. I just went down there and ordered me a black one ($2000). but these will range any where from 1200-3000 dollars. :bassist: