Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexican Jazz Bass - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slaine01, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I'm interested in a 5 string Mexican Fender Jazz Bass as I played it the other day and liked the feel of the neck.
    Some feedback on these Basses would be good.
    It will be a 2nd Bass so please no comparisons on spending more money and getting a Marcus miller 5 :)
    Are they cheap and nasty or are they just cheaper due to the fact that they are not made in the U.S.?
    I hear the only difference in an American model is the neck and that the electonics are exactly the same - is this true?
    Thanx

2. I've got a MIM Fender 5-string, about 3 years old. It's been a really good bass for me. I use it for Jazz and Blues, and some Theater, but I'll bet it kicks for Rock, too. No problems so far with any aspect of it, and I like the feel of the neck. That's why I got it after trying a couple other brands that day. Most comfortable and the sound was right.

Out of 10, I'll give it an 8, so far. Good bass; good feel; good sound. (You'd think that would be a 10, but I don't give out 10's. Skews the %'s. ;) )

3. Cheaper Labor=Less to pay=Smaller price factor

Aside from maybe a paint job, theres no REAL difference between most mex and americans. a lot of TB'ers tend to comment how they wish they'd save their money because the mexican and american's sound about the same.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender's Mexican made stuff is a great value IMO. Good basses at very good prices for how good they are.

5. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    I wish fender made a MIM P bass 5er
    i played a few jazzes in the stores, great feel

I also heard that the only real difference between a MIM and a MIA is that one is made by a mexican in mexico and he is paid less. but i wouldn't quote me on that

6. Great feedback - Thanks for that, I thought as much and I will buy it after all.
    Why did Fender decide to build in Mexico AND the U.S?
    I don't understand if the quality is so good from Mexico why not just move their base of operations there?

7. The MIM Deluxe I have is great.

Nice choice of woods and built like a tank.

8. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Indeed . . . I have a Mexican Deluxe Jazz from 2000, with the exact same electronics as my dad's MIA Deluxe Jazz from 1998. The only difference is mine now has better tone, sustain and intonation due to the installation of a Badass II bridge and some Rotosound Swing 66's. :)

9. If I were you I would get a Jazz bass Dluxe 5 string! I got one and it is great. i think t has better sound than the Americans do!

10. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I hated my MIM Jazz... I guess I got a lemon.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you like the way the MIM 5 Jazz plays and sounds go for it. As many, many have posted here, Fender is pretty inconsistent. Some are great, some are sub par. You don't know until you play them. I played a Mexican Jazz 5 Deluxe that was wonderful. The same dealer had a Standard 5 Jazz that had an absolutely horrible B string that was weak sounding and and way, way too floppy. You really have to take each Fender individually.

12. Where did u get it? I find the best bass to get is to play all of them with an open mind. Go into guitar center and choose!

13. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I love my 4-string MIM Jazz. Great price, great neck, no problems at all. My only complaint is the electronic buzz I get when I'm not touching the strings, but I hear a shielding job will fix that.

No idea if the B string on a MIM fiver sounds any good.

14. I have a MIM Jazz 5. The only issue I have with it is the fact that its a 5 string, thus the reason why I'm trying to sell it. 5 strings on a "jazz neck" just doesnt feel right to me for some reason. Other than that, its been a good bass

15. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The MIM Fenders are solid instruments and a great bang for your buck but IMO the MIA are obviously better instruments are should be for the price increase. There are those that say SX basses are better quality than fender MIM basses so I guess that means they are as good as US Fenders right? Not that am donw on the mexican fenders I think they are great but the American are defintely better.

16. They are sold here as an "Active 5" Mexican Bass - is this the same as the Deluxe(as mentioned above?)

17. Active takes 9 Volts and gets way better sound. Its just like an American!

18. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I think the American model's neck is graphite-reinforced. Also, the bridge utilizes through-body stringing. The electronics are different (on the passive models, they have the S-1 switch and I think different pickups). Obviously, there's no huge difference.

I have an American Jazz V, and I love it for the most part. The B string is floppier than I'd like, though. With certain strings (hex core, heavier gauge, compression wound), you could minimize this, although in some cases floppiness gives you the tone you want. I've also tried tuning up a half-step to C with good effect. That's really my only complaint, though.

19. Interestingly enough the neck and headstock seem "unfinished" - like it hasn't had a clear varnish put on it -although I know it has.
    Is this the way they normally look?
    It kind of looks funny being so pale with the Sunburst body etc.
    Also whats with the tiny machine heads on this model, I love the big beefy machine heads found on Jazz basses?
    Just bought it and am currently dropping the action, as it was a little high, but it sounds awesome through my rig (Eden WT800 and Epifani 4 x 10 Ultralight cab).
    My main Bass is a Yamaha TRB5 (with the electronics ripped out and replaced with a Sadowsky pre-amp) and the necks feel pretty much the same so good score all round.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know, I can't say I ever dug the feel of the Mexican Fenders. There's not a ton of difference from the MIA's, but I don't often hear MIM's with the same quality of acoustic sound as MIA's. It's a nice bass for the money, no doubt, but the American basses are a definite step up.