Mexican Jazz Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ironymatrix, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ironymatrix

Oct 29, 2004
    Im looking for alot of info on Mexican jass basses... if any one can give me a link of tell me about them then i would really like it. :bag:

I own a MIM Fender Jazz Fretless IV, and have some info on that page. There's also a link to the official stats page of the bass.

Also, do a search in these forums; I'm sure this question's been asked thousands of times.

Hope this helps.
  3. ironymatrix

Oct 29, 2004
    do you know where i can find one to bye.... i really wont one??
  4. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    You'll find one in just about any music shop that sells Fender.
  5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Online you can try Musicians Friend or American Musical Supply. These are just a couple of online dealers that may be if use to you. Try a real store first so you can play one before buying it.
  6. Ok, it's a bass, of the Jazz-shaped variety, as pioneered by FMIC & made popular by the masses , and manufactured in Mexico.
    Oh yeah, they have 4 strings and a skinnier neck.

So go buy one already. You seriously telling me you haven't tried one? They're everywhere...practically moreso than any other bass, ever.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to own one. Good bass. Recommended for the budget.
  8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can also find some hardly used Jazz MIMs in your local classifieds or through Craigslists and Recyclers. A popular first bass or first Fender bass. Then lots of these people lose their interest and they sell them at great prices, hardly used at all.

That's how I got my MIM Jazz!

*note - Just make sure you inspect yours fully. Lots of Jazz MIMs in not the greatest of shapes. But hey, not everyone worries about that.

Good luck!

9. HawkBoyXVI

HawkBoyXVI Hairbrained Schemer

Oct 25, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Mine is a Mexican, and I love it. I had to lower the action a hair, but other than that, it was flawless. I really think they're by far the best bass for the money. I recommend buying one. Also, if you've ever played a Jazz in a music store, there's like a 80% probability that it was Mexican. Hope this helped.
  10. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA's usually not a mystery at the store whether a jazz is MIM or MIA...right? Not sure what was meant about that 80% probability comment. But I guess that if you are talking about store inventory of MIA vs MIM, that might be right...

11. HawkBoyXVI

HawkBoyXVI Hairbrained Schemer

Oct 25, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    No, I wasn't talking about some music store conspiracy ha...I was talking about usual inventory. At least where I'm from...
  12. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I bought one becuase I love the Fender Jazz and wanted to get my feet wet with fretless playing. Call em a cheat but I like the clear fret lines!

I am curiou: are the parts/hardware are different between the USA/JPN/ MEX ?
  13. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    The bridge, knobs and pickups are different between the USA & MEX. Also, the necks are different as the truss rod is adjustable at the body on USA and at the headstock on MEX & JPN.

I'm not sure about the JPN basses as I've yet to see one in person.
  14. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    I got one 3 years ago just for a practice bass, I loved the neck (Rosewood) , I became unhappy with the sound so I replaced the bridge with a Baddass and some hot rod electronics, and that was a mistake, I should have left it alone, but no !!! so I traded for an Alembic Epic + some cash. but as for the bass, I loved the way the Fender Jazz played and for the money it was a good buy. and if I were to do it again I would not get the active electronics, I think on that bass the passive Jazz would be the way I would go
    David T
  15. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Suggestion noted...

But regarding changing pickups, is there a profound difference when you go with a different set of passive pickups?

I too love the feel of my MIM Jazz, but I ended up playing it less and less in favor of my more massive sounding SRX400 (active humbucker).

Is there any way with an active or passive J pickup exchange to get a heavier humbucker-ish type sound? Is there any way to do this and be able to maybe retain that traditional J p/u sound?

This is what I've been meaning to ask for a while...thanks :D

16. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I bought a MIM fretless jazz bass last Sunday and so far I love it. I used it on gig last night and got compliments on it from other guys in the band. It is well worth the money. Particularly since I got it on clearance at Guitar Center and paid $325.00 instead of $420.00! :D

Apparently it has upgraded Fender Jazz pickups on it. What is the difference between those and 'regular' pickups? :confused: