Mexican Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jul 18, 2005.

1. I'm sure there are other threads on this, but Im lazy, And I have a dial up connection...

In a few days i'll be getting a 95' Mexican Jazz and I was wondering are there any differences in build between the older ones and newer ones? I was also wondering what A 95' is worth now, The bass is in good condition and the only problem is the knobs wont stay on, according to what my friend is telling me. (He lives in California so Im only going by his word, which i trust) But anywho thats about it. Oh, Is the sound the same to the newer MIM Jazz' or is it different? Im not sure if Im going to keep it or do a trade, Cause I've been looking into those MTD Kingstons.
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The 95 MIM bass has two pups of the same size making pup changes difficult with out routing the rear pup cavity. If you like the pups you will be fine, if you don't you'll have your work cut out for you. As far as the knobs not staying on it could be that the shafts are "split post". you can just gently open up the two shafts and this will cure that. These things do break so you will have to be careful. If they are solid shafts just use knobs with screws on the side.
  3. Thanks.

But, How much is a 95' worth now, And how much is a new one, I cant tell from Music123 or MF which is which, And i havent been to Guitar Center in a while, so Ive forgotten the prices, which is unlike me. But I really want to know what a 95' is worth now.
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I don't think alot. It's not a rare bass at all. Maybe $100-200.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ouch, $100-$200 for a 95 MIM jazz? Id say around $200-$250.
  6. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    The Standard Jazz basses are the Mexican made ones, In Music123 and MF that is how they are listed. New they are in the $440 range.

Look on eBay and you'll get an idea of what used ones are going for.
  7. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    I may be wrong (I don't remember what year they changed over) but the 95 model might be Basswood. The newer ones are Alder.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont think they were made of basswood, i believe youre thinking of poplar?
  9. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Yes you are correct...poplar. I must have been thinking about my old Dean which was basswood
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They switched from Poplar to Alder in 2000.
  11. A router isn't necessary, a chisel happens to work just fine, as long as it's sharp and you take off an equal amount from each side.
  12. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    From popular to alder body and from Strat style control knobs to more appropriate vintage J style. Not bad upgrades but I think the MIM J and P Deluxe models have really made some significant upgrades worth checking out.