Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexican Jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jun 5, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Does anyone know if FENDER Mexico/Japan series basses come in black with Maple fingerboard?
    My intention is to fork out for a Geddy Lee Fender bass, but i was just checking if there was a similar made one sold cheaper.

Thanks.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm 99% sure that you're stuck with rosewood. The American series might have maple as an option, but the MIMs seem to be stuck with rosewood. Not that that's a bad thing, however, not what you're looking for. :)

3. Jiimy

Jiimy

Mar 3, 2002
    Athens AL, USA
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the Geddy Lee is the only Mexican or Japanese Fender with maple fretboard. But you'll still love the Fender Jazz bass whether it's maple or rosewood.

4. The Geddy Lee Jazz is made in Japan, NOT Mexico.

Unfortunately you can't get an MIM with a maple fingerboard, and it is indeed an option on the MIA basses. The MIJ Geddy Lee is, IMHO, the best value in a Fender bass today, unless you truely hate maple boards. Luckily, I love 'em :)

Pony up for the GL. The Badass II bridge is a fantastic addon and the 60's vintage reissue pickups, while not as ballsy as Geddy's own bass, are pretty darn nice.

--jeff