1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mexican Jazz Wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NOVAX, Mar 9, 2013.

1. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Search is pointless- instead of vague answers to vague questions-I want direct answers to direct questions:
    I have a 95 MIM jazz the finish is either Dakota or Fiesta red.
    anyone know which one was available?
    My BP 1992 buyers guide lists the standards body wood as basswood. Any idea when they switched to alder?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Dakota red is MUCH darker than Fiesta Red. Fiesta Red is closer to a salmony pink.
    Shouldn't be hard to tell which you have.

As for the wood, a picture of the bare wood in the neck pocket would help. That way we can see the grain to try & help. Fender used Poplar, Alder, Ash & Basswood in the 90s. Poplar & Basswood were common for MIM production.

That being said, my luthier told me that my 96 P is Alder. It's definitely heavy enough to be.

3. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Strip that sucker down and find out. Dig a core sample out and send it to the labs. Then, you can make it either Fiesta or Dakota Red when you are done. Let us know what you find out; I'm working on a wood/brand database.

4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Thanx 4 the response. It is slightly heavy making me think/hope its alder-although I do have a few basswood basses that sound great. The color I like- its probably not fiesta but maybe faded dakota or possibly torino?

5. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    They started using Alder in 2001.

I don't recall Dakota or Fiesta Red ever being a MIM Standard color. You sure it wasn't metallic red?

6. it was poplar in '95. Don't remember them using basswood on any '90s MIM, just the japanese ones.

7. 1995 Mexican fenders bodies were Poplar. Fender started making alder bodies for mexicans instruments in 2001

8. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Yea, mid-90's MIM Fender's were Poplar.

9. I was reading somewhere while looking for a response to your thread on the tonal range of poplar vs alder. Poplar is a cheaper alternative, but it doesn't like trans finished, due to a greenish wood hue.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    What makes you think this question is meaningful?

It's scrapwood of different densities and grains with a veneer over it:

Alderbodiesw-Veneer-billetform-FenderMIMFactorylarge_zpsdc14e349.

11. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I did not sense any sarcasm there bongo. Meaningful maybe no. But useful to me, yes. :)

12. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Its not metallic. Howabout Torino?

13. veneers are only applied to the transparent finishes.
    Solid colour bodies do not have that.

14. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    My '04 natural FSR J is Ash.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Seriously, how? :confused:

Wood qualities sometimes matter, species in itself does not -- especially when the blank is made up of a bunch of completely random scraps with totally different densities, grain and everything else. Whether they are nominally poplar or alder has no meaning.

And to somewhat answer your question, around ten years ago, FMIC told me that they used poplar and alder interchangeably in these bodies, purely depending on what was cheaper at the time and there was no material difference between them anyway.

16. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Thanks bro. Any idea on the color?