Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mexican jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mr. baggins, Apr 4, 2001.

1. what are the best ways to improve sound in a mexican jazz bass? pickups, bridge............

2. Get a Badass II bridge and a set of DiMarzio DP123 or Ultra Jazz pickups and you will have one smokin' axe!

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Instead of paying money for pick ups and a bridge, I would try to trade up for a better, (used maybe?) bass

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...not to mention that J-Retro...;)

5. Pickups and bridge, in that order. I put Dimarzio DP123's on both my 2 cheap Jazzes. I also put a Badass2 bridge on my Mexi Jazz, and I will eventually put a Gotoh 201 on my Korean Squier Jazz, but haven't really worried about it yet because I play the Mexi more.

All that made both of these play and sound like a $600-$800 bass with only about $400 total tied up in the Mexi, and $300 total tied up in the Korean.

Chris

6. True, true..
    Although I really haven't been using it. I'm in love with the passive tone right now, although I do need to explore that preamp a little more.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was really inspired by the description you gave of your MIM Jazz. I have a stock MIM that I picked up a couple of months ago. I usually play it unplugged at my fiance's place, but last night I plugged it into my GK practice amp. The sound was terrible! I'm really plan on making similar mods that yours has! Hopefully, this crappy jazz will come to life!:D

BTW: Do you think a new bridge with more mass can help to diminish the dead spot? I know it won't totally get rid of it...

8. That, I don't know.. although my gut instinct is to say it wouldn't help. Hambone or one of the other set-up gurus could probably tell you.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it's not that big of a deal...it's already there, so any improvement is just a bonus. The only reason I thought it might help is because I've heard people talking about clips that you put on the headstock that add mass and shift the deadspot...But, with the addition of a heavier bridge, I didn't know if that would have the same affect. I'll check with one of them when I get closer...

10. Why did you buy it if it was so crappy?

My fretless MIM Jazz is a beautiful thing. I've found a great variance in the quality of MIM Jazzes. The two I have are amazing. But I also played a great many of them before purchasing the ones I have now.

FF

11. My MIM Jazz is tops. I can't help but wonder if folks aren't conditioned to believe that any Fender that isn't made in the U.S. of A. is "crappy". Or maybe they're just 'going with the flow'. My MIM Jazz (unmodified) is as good (or better) than many U.S. made models. I own a MIM, and am proud of it!

12. You and me both man! I love my mexi jazzes!

FF

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Okay, well this thing sounded crappy last night. What can I say? It's not a fantastic bass. I didn't set out to buy a killer bass...if I did, I would have bought another Spector!

Anyway, I bought it for several reasons...First and foremost, I spend a lot of time at my fiance's apartment, and thus miss playing my bass. So, I wanted something at her place that I could fool around with; something that wouldn't cost more than $300; something that could become a project bass; and something standard.

See, it's a pretty bass, it really is! And, it has some interesting sonic qualities to it. But, I paid $280 for what I expect will become a Fender shell with new electronics and hardware...that was my original intention. In fact, I was actually somewhat inspired by Dave Siff's "Dude-modified" bass!;)

14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    This is too weird!

Last week, I "rescued" a MIM Jazz, minus p-ups, from a junk store. Good condition---paid almost nothing for it. Two days later I went out and got a Badass II and a set of DP123's. The biggest problem was filing the string grooves on the new bridge ( last time I ever do that!!).

The end result? A good sounding Jazz for a relatively small investment. Although it doesn't compare to my '60's Jazz, this one is definitely going to see some action.

15. Right on!!

16. Got my mim jazz v in january. I think it is a great first bass. Put didario chrome flats on it, set it up and plays great. I use a sansamp di to go through the pa at the church were i play. Ordered a badbut 5 bridge and a pair of dimarzio ultra jazz pups. Cant wait to get those installed.
    eddie

17. I realize that the above statement is an opinion, but it's these statements that make some people think that the MIM bass is, essentially, an inferior product, not worthy of serious consideration, but great as a first bass. I bought my MIM Jazz in December (or thereabouts). It was not my first bass - more like my 30-something bass! I've owned basses by Gibson, Peavey, Ibanez, Cort, Pedulla, and of course, Fender (American). I've played a host of other brands as well. I was not strapped for cash when I bought my MIM Jazz. I had 3 other basses in my arsenal at the time - a Fender Pastorius Tribute model, a Fender American Series Jazz, and a Pedulla Rapture J2 (I have since sold the Jazz & the Pedulla). When I went out looking for a new bass, it was not because I needed a 1st bass, nor because I needed a cheap bass. In fact, it could be argued that I didn't need another bass at all (well, my wife certainly argued that point). But, I was not getting what I wanted from my basses, and felt I needed something else. I did not set out to buy a MIM, I set out to buy a bass that I liked. I had a budget of $900 U.S., and ended up spending about $300 on the MIM Jazz, not because I wanted to save money, but because it was the bass that I liked most of all the ones I tried that fell within my $900 budget. So, do "I think it is a great first bass"? - well yeah... and a second, and 3rd, and 4th, and 30-something as well. Like any other bass, it can be a great bass if you choose the right one.
    X

...and I just glanced at the first post and realized that we've sort of gone off-topic here :) Sorry mr. baggins :D

18. oops.. xavier g, i appoligize to you, but my statement "a great first bass" was not meant to downgrade the instrument. What I was trying to say is a very good instument, for the price for anyone from beginer {me} to more experienced{anyone but me} players. It is my first bass. When I went looking i had no idea about mim or am only the am was more money, about $1100 cnd. I didnt want to spent that kind of money, so I picked up the mim 5 because it looked nice and the price was within what i wanted to spend, I got it for $435cnd. I expect to keep this bass for a long time as for what i do with it, it fits the bill nicely, and when i get the new bridge and pups it will be even nicer.
    eddie

19. Right on! I seriously never play my Rickenbacker anymore. The fact that I don't have to "worry" about my MIM Jazz bass, since it was so cheap, lets me play more relaxed. And it does play like more expensive basses.

Chris

20. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I'm close to finishing similar mods to my P-bass right now and can tell you that a massive bridge will not cancel out any dead spots but will increase the sustain and help the tone quite a bit.I went out and bought a billet of brass,machined a copy of the Paul Reed Smith bridge and made ferrules to run the strings through the body while I was at it.The bass is going in tomorrow for new pickups,pots and all electrics to be changed..as well as a "complete" setup.I also shielded the entire routed out cavity as well as the back of the pickguard.A bridge replacement is a must though,the crappy stock bridge on mine was always buzzing all the time because the strings were rubbing against the intonation springs.I even cut some pieces of plastic straws to fit over the springs but the problem wasn't solved.I've got that sucker nailed now though with my new bridge.