Mexican-made Fender Jazz Bass: Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimbo, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i know this is a subject discussed a lot so i tried searching but i couldn't find what i was looking for (maybe i wasn't searching hard enough :D )

a mars music around here is closing down so they're having a liquidation sale. since "everything must go" i was gonna check it out, hoping to maybe score a nice deal. i really want a fretless jazz but the questions arises, MIM or MIA? i realize that the best thing to do is to go and play both and compare, but i want to know if there is anything i should look for. is there anything that really seperates the two?

2. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Thinking of adding one of these to my arsenal and setting it up with really low action and stainless steel strings to get that Geddy Lee, Chris Squire tone. How do these compare to the American-made versions?
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Do a search (little button at top of screen. these have been talked about hundreds of times) ;)

Oh, and Jimbo and Polkahero, I merged your threads together, as they were both about the same topic.
  4. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    thats a tough one, there are refinements on the mia like graphite in the neck, better shielding, alder or ash body and clear coat finish on the neck and headstock but there ar some very good mim fenders out there especaly the 2001 or 2002 and you can own three for the price of one mia so IMHO I would search out a good mim and keep the money you saved for another bass.I have a 2001 mim 5 string J that I like a much as any mia fender that I've owned.