Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexican (not Japaneese) Foto Flame Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gapupten, Jan 19, 2005.

1. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I recently purchased a used Foto Flame 2003 Mexican Fender Jazz bass. Or at least that is what it appears to be. I have never seen any reference to a Mexican Foto Flame. Everything I have seen about Fender Foto Flame discusses old Japaneese models. Is this really rare, just a Fender experiment or something else. I would really like to know anything knows about MIM foto flame.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Haven't heard of a Mexican FotoFlame (yet).

My theory: I can't see a close up of the body to verify. But if the body appears older than the neck, it's very possible the body is Japanese and someone took the original neck off and either trashed it (ie:defretted, broken truss rod) or used it on another bass. Then they put the Mex neck on the bass you have. I've run to a few spare parts basses along the way. If you're willing take the neck off and see if there is a date stamp on the body's neck pocket, that should verify it.

BTW- I really like that Sienna burst flame w/Black PG scheme!

3. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    these are better pics of the flame. And there are no marking in the pocket. Still stumped,,,

Attached Files: