Mexican P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lecollectif, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Hey there.

I'm thinking about buying my friend's Mexican Pbass. I'm not sure of its year, but it's got a few things wrong with it:

First of all, there are a few knicks in the body and neck. Not huge ones, but you can tell it's been used.

The pegs that hold the straps are using regular screws to stay in place.

The sound from the A string seems to be a little weak. I suspect it has something to do with the pickup, but I'm not sure.

The offer I made was $200 CAN. I'm guessing that's really low, but given that the guy doesn't play bass, I figured it was a good way to make some cash.

ALSO, in order to acquire this 200$, I was going to sell my Epiphone Eb-0 that I bought when I was learning how to play. I outgrew the thing in less than a month, so it's in perfect condition, and was even given a setup recently. Worth $200 CAN when I payed roughly $300?

2. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Hi Leo;

As your buying it from a friend, take it to a pro bass tech for an evaluation. (Mine does this for free because...)

If you buy it, you'll want the tech to do a set-up (new strings, truss rod adjustement, intonation and action set-ups)

If the pick-up is not working, he can put a new one in but I would guess that with a set-up and new strinsg teh problem will disappear.

- JV
  3. Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    My goodness. I just realized that I forgot to write the entire point to the post.

The main question is $200 a good price?

I know the intonation is perfect. It's just the dings and the pickup that I'm concerned with.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It seems like he is selling pretty cheap actually. $200 CAN is like $125 USD isn't it? If so, that is about 1/3 what a new Mexican P-bass is sold for. I can't see the dings on the guitar and it may need some work, so your price may be pretty reasonable.
  5. thing with the A string, is check the break angle over the nut.

If it's not enough, the string can sound blurry. I had to add a string retainer to my P special to get a better amount of break angle. Even a ton of extra wraps weren't sufficient.

Tho, every bass is different.