Mexican P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thedarksession, Jun 17, 2005.

1. For some some the neck on my mexi P-bass is so great. it's way nicer than the one on my american jazz. anyone else have this?? am i just lucky???
  2. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well you might not be the only one like this, but you are very lucky. Fender quality control is not what it should be so you end up with MIM basses that are better than some of the MIAs. Enjoy that neck.
  3. ah, cool. now i need new pickups, a bridge, and tuners.
  4. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Seymour-Duncan 1/4 pounder, Badass II, and some Vintage Gotoh tuners with the tall posts, now go!!! :bassist:
  5. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    And some flatwounds :cool:
  6. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Well mine is a MIM Jazz but the neck is really nice. If I remember correctly, the necks are actually made in the US but shipped to mexico for finishing.
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep, it can happen! After seeing many showroom Fenders hanging on the rack with warped necks, and even buying an FMT Jazz 5 via mail order which arrived with a warped neck and a maxxed out truss rod (a long story covered in a thread 3 years ago or so), I've always been very down on their factory quality control, or lack thereof.

I lucked out a couple of years ago and found a MIM P Bass with a very straight and stable neck. It plays like a dream. Indeed, sometimes you just get lucky!
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you want to talk p bass pickups drop me a message...I'm in town, and I have a few sets of extras.
  9. RubyJunction

Apr 24, 2005
    I just dropped my MIM Fender Jazz Bass off at the shop today to get new pickups put in and also a fret dressing.

I bought a pair of Seymour Duncan Antiquity 1's, and I didn't know, and was rather surprised to find out that they aren't strictly a drop in jobby. They are probably going to have to Dremel the bridge cavity, as the replacement bridge pickup is bigger than the neck pickup.

The stock pickups that came with my bass are both the same size!! What a trip!

SO ANYWAY, it's at the shop rite now and I am going through withdrawals. It's the only bass I currently own, and I miss playing it already. It's not going to be ready until next Thursday...........oh well........... :crying: Must be time to start saving for that Stingray bass I've been wanting to get.......
  10. The neck on my MIM P-bass isn't to bad either. Once you look past the fact that the nut it wider than the neck... :scowl:
    At least it's the correct width on my MIM Jazz.