1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mexican precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Hello all, Im considering getting a mexican candy apple red p bass. Itll be a semi upgrade from my squier vm jazz bass which I love. Will the action be like the squier or lower? Is the playability going to be improved? Could you hit me with your experiences and current views on them? Also please no "save up for a better bass" remarks if that's what I wanted to do Then I would have done that.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Action depends on who sets up the bass. Playability? P's have a thicker/wider neck. Depends on what you like.

The new Squier line are great basses. I am not sure you are upgrading anything except the logo. I would and have gigged with the new Squier line.

I have a Black MIM P sitting around if you want to trade lol.

3. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Haha Im In the uk so tough trade that would be and I love my squier soo.. Haha but way back in December I played a mim p bass and as far as I remember I liked it so maybe I'll try one out soon and see if it tickles my fancy

4. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    If it's any cheaper for you and if you can find them, try the Squier Classic Vibe P basses as well as the Vintage Modified P Basses.

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    The neck profile / feel of the P is a bit heftier than the VMJ. Not too hard to get used to.
    As far as your action is concerned, you can raise or lower it to suit your personal likes.
    The tone of the P will be quite different than the Jazz with its Duncan Designed p'ups.
    The MIM P bass is a fine instrument,as long as everthing is in proper working order and you'll like having one for a change of pace from the VMJ

6. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I think I would adapt rather quick as my very first bass was an encore p bass copy and I learnt with that and had to adapt to a jazz so p bass is second nature almost and I think I will enjoy having one for a change of pace from my current jazz :)

7. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Would you guys say that the Mexican build quality is Atleast as good as the squier? If not better?

8. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The Mexico necks I personally think are better, also the body wood. Just my opinion though. I tricked out a Squier P/J special with Basslines and a Badass II bridge and it put many other basses to shame.

9. tangentmusic

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I too have a Squier VMJ. I also have a MIM P.
    The quality of the MIM is slightly better than the Squier, only cuz Squier has really come up in quality in recent years. The VM & CV series are pretty well made instruments.

10. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    General feedback seems good on this bass which is what i like to hear haha. I mainly play rock and some funk do you think this would be an ass kicker so to speak haha

11. tangentmusic

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    P Bass = Rock

J Bass = Funk

Generally speaking

12. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    well having both should be good then!

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The mexicans are better than a Squier 10 times out of 10 in my experience. Unless the MIM is used and has been abused, even then it will still probably serve you better for longer.

Personally, I would not consider either bass to be gig worthy. If they were mine neither one would go close to a stage without getting a proper shielding job first.

14. tangentmusic

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Lots of players own both for tonal variety.

You'll be pretty much covered

15. E_strat

E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    I just recently got a 2012 Mexican P bass. One of the best basses I've ever played, even though I haven't tried too many considering I'm a little picky on when it comes to style.

The tone is just great, everything I expected out of a P bass, and even more really. I have arctic white with maple fretboard, but I put a black 3-ply pickguard on it, which is my favorite look. I played an American the day I ordered this one, and wasn't sure how it was going to be compared to the Am., but it's totally on par with it.

In conclusion, I am completely satisfied with mine. Even my band likes the sound and look better. It just cuts through better, even with the 30 watt Fender Rumble I play out of.:D

Hope that helps.

16. i think i dig my matt freeman squier better than my mim jazz. of course that's just my opinion, but i think the squiers have gotten a lot better over the past few years.

in the efforts of full disclosure, i am unrelated to mattbass97, despite my user name.

the p will probably be a little more aggressive, so get that p and rock it!

17. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Haha same name more or less :) and i think i will get it and for definite i will rock it haha

18. zaviere

zaviere

Apr 20, 2012
    yeah I would agree with E_strat. I think the new MIMs are really great quality. I got a brand new squier vm jazz in natural recently as well and while I kinda prefer the neck, the frets were not up to par as the MIM. I could feel they were sticking out by like a milimeter if that. No deal breaker as I just filed them down but it did bug the crap out of me. Small inconvenience tho overall. Its a really great bass (squier).

I now own a black 2011 mim p-bass with tort pg, and the squier vm jazz in natural and the black one. Love all of em. And yes I do gig with all of them.

altho those new sub basses from sterling are looking mighty fine with that 279 price tag :help:

19. I have a MIM Strat that I think is an excellent quality guitar. So much so, that in order to round out my collection (Squier VM J and P, Fender Jazz) I am planning on getting a MIM P-bass to fill the Fender P spot. I would have preferred to get an MIA P to match up with my MIA Jazz, but I can't afford one, so I'll get a MIM and I'm sure I'll be quite happy with it. After getting that MIM Strat and that first Squier (the VM J), I am quite convinced that the country of manufacture is generally irrelevant as it relates to quality.