1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mexican Skit about African Exchange Student

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 11, 2011.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    YouTube - TELMEXUVISION Parte Uno de Dos

I know it's a different culture, but this is pretty over the top. The funny thing is that recently the Mexican government went off on BBC for programming that it felt was racially offensive against Mexicans and forced them to apologize.

2. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to racism in comedy. Sometimes, racist comedy can be funny....Comedy(and Music) that degrades women and/or glorifies drug use, is what pisses me off.

Maybe it's a culture thing, but to me, this just is not funny at all.
    Actually I found it boring, unimaginative, and immature.

On the other hand, it ain't my country so I don't care what they watch on TV. Maybe this is why so many Mexicans are coming to the US....better television ;)

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

4. Mexican TV let's me know without a doubt that we don't have what it takes to survive as a species.

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    ugh god. That's painful to watch on a number of different levels..

6. TJ55

TJ55

Jun 5, 2010
    KY
    No Telemundo hotties!? Then I have no reason to watch it. So many of those chicas are nothing short of incredible.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Obviously, the racial aspect caught my attention but the gay, fat, mentally development (retarded) jokes are terrible too.

8. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    jesus. Is Mexican television so far behind they have to write programs like its 1940s America?

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are dang near in Mexico, do you see a lot of this sort of stuff on your local cable? When I watch Univision, I don't see stuff as bad as what I posted.

Looking at a clip like that makes me realize that the US has problems, but things certainly have gotten better. Frankly, even in the 1940s, you would not have seen such overt racial humor in a mainstream movie or TV program in the US. You would have seen some racially offensive things, but not an 11 minute barrage of bad taste.

10. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's not just Mexico. I imagine its anywhere without the American/Western European tradition and history of race relations. I know I cringe at some things I see on Filipino TV. While sometimes it may be African or South Asians, "Bombays" as they are called locally, it is more likely to be dark skinned Filipinos and they will actually have actors in black face to play those ethnic groups

11. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Bad taste, bad writing, bad acting, bad everything!

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    That was pretty unreal.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    :eek: I just dont know what to say. That... was... bad

14. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    The local Mexican programming I see is more about music, celebrity gossip and naked women. lots of soap operas tool.

15. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    ugh...they missed the kibid point by about 9 minutes.

16. That's how I find most American shows :D :p

I'm usually ok with a bit of racially based jibbing, but this, meh, too far and just offensive

17. :eek:

18. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Sure are lots of Vikings out today!

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Wow. That actually makes American TV look smart. I didn't think that was even possible. People actually watch that crap?

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This thread got me thinking. Everyone who has posted has been critical of the skit I showed in that link. Most have said it was not even funny, but simply in bad taste.

It is interesting so many in America hate "political correctness" but PC, in one form or another, is what lets us know what is and is not polite or poor taste. Whether it is your Mom or an advocate group, respect and politeness is always being taught to us, and the norms change over time. The thing that irritates people is when groups that previously were silent speak up and make us change what were used to saying or doing. The Mexican case is an example of what happens when a group is very small and has no voice. Mexican blacks are a tiny group, besides Abraham Laboriel, how many of us can name a black Mexican? If they were a larger minority, the kind of ugly skit we saw would not exist.