Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MEXICAN SQUIER JAZZ BASS ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Jun 15, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i was at guitar center to day and came across what i thought was a mex j-bass standard,so after playing it for awhile i looked at the paperwork that was attatched to it and it said squier model:eek: ,after further inspection i noticed in small letters on the headstock(where it usually say's "custom body")SQUIER ?.it looked,felt,sounded and played like a regular standard mex j-bass,WHAT THE ? and it was selling for 250.00$ used ,which is usually the going rate of a used mex standard jazz in decent shape. any idea's about this elusive rouge fender squier ?:confused:

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    well i've been doing some research and have come to this cunclusion,that along with the mexican and japanese fenders being "standard series" basses,squiers also have a standard series along with the affinity models. the standard squiers are better made(some of them have painted headstocks and 3 ply p/gaurds)and offer the P/J pickup combination model,and the affinity models are a bit cheaper,one ply p/gaurd ,and regular pick-up configuration.here's how it came to me,my squier jazz bass standard has features that the affinity squier jazz does'nt,and it's made a heck of alot better and sounds more LIKE a "real" fender,after playing the affinity squier jazz today i noticed these differences(especially on the mexican squier standard model that was just like a regular mex model),also the p-bass special squier bass is the standard series(P/J pick-ups and a 3 ply pick-gaurd to boot). i also inspected the squier affinity p-bass and it was'nt as well made as the standard squiers that had a matching headstock and 3 ply p/gaurds.so long story short there is two types of squier series, the STANDARD jazz and the p-bass,then you have the AFFINITY jazz and p-bass,so now i know why there are so many differences between the squiers,its the fact that there are two different series(affinity,standard). its not always a varience in quality, But a bass in a different & cheaper series being the real culprit. i ran this info by a few other of my fellow fender players/owners and they agreed with my findings, and were able to validate them by checking this info out against some of their current fender squier models and mine as well. sorry about this trivial discussion but i finally figured out some answers that were bugging me,and showing to others that it is possible to find a decent squier bass other than a japanese model.SO FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THATS HOLY STAY AWAY FROM THE AFFINITY SERIES ! or was it the standard series that were bad ?:eek: OOPS :( thanks for at least making believe that you are interested in this non-sensical topic that i've debated with myself over more than with others, i have alot of issues:D ,and defocusing with basses my therapist says is good for my over-all well being:rolleyes: .OK thats enuff of that bye.bye:meh:

3. I own a Standard/Special Sqiure P bass. Oddly enough, it's one of the only P basses by Squire I have come across that has no pickguard. Go figure.

4. yup, there is such a thing, and as far as i can tell geezer316 has it all right. i've got a mim squier jazz and its awsome. i've played lots of mim fender j's and granted 9 of 10 of the fenders were better playing, the difference wasnt really worth the price tag difference to me, regardless of squier or fender i'd change the pups and wiring anyways, and the price difference is enough to get a loaded squier fit to my specs, or a stock fender

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Those are nice

6. American made rocks too, btw.

7. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i traded in my mexican jazz bass(standard,NOT squier)for a Squier STANDARD jazz bass because of the constant neck problems it had.The bass i traded it in for is a Squier Jazz STANDARD not the affinity series(squier, before i made my decision i tried out quite a few fenders and the Squier affinity bass was one of them,and what a difference there was in the over-all quality,it was like playing a totally different brand of bass.all the squier affinity's sounded thin a tinney with hardly any low end thump,now on the other hand, the squier standard models were without a shadow of a doubt a better made bass.it had the same hardware and made of the same wood but sounded way better in general than the affinity. My squier jazz it came from the factory with no pick-gaurd and a headstock painted the same color as the bass,the frett-work is more similar to the higher end mexican basses and nothing like the cheaper affinity series,while the wood used was the same in both models the electronics are far superior on the standard than the affinity,the standard pick-ups have that fender growl we all like, while the affinity's sound cheap and thin. my squier i believe is well worth up-grading with good pick-ups and a bad-ass bridge,these additions will bring it up to the level of some of the higher end fenders,while keeping the cost well below them. do some "BROWSING" i'm sure you will be ablke to find a squier worth keeping even though their numbers are diminishing rapidly. :bassist: