Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexican Upright Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sonic bass, Jul 31, 2004.

1. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
    I live in Mexico and here they are selling some very cheap upright basses, they are very easy to play, but the strings are made of some kind of plastic or silicon, but it looks like a very good bass and it's very easy to play, i've played other upright basses that are much harder to play and are more expensive... I've been playing bass guitar for 4 years, and now I want to move to upright and join the high school orchestra, is this a good bass to start? has anyone else played on one of this?

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    how cheap is cheap exactly, and where excatly are they selling them?

3. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
    they are selling them at $200 dollars or $2300 pesos, and it includes a bag, they are selling them at most music stores (here in Mexico).

4. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    since even the cheapest mexican guitars (jom, 3 pinos, etc) are hand made in a guitar shop, it is probably a lot better than whats available on ebay for 3 times as much. say, would you happen to have a phone number for those stores?

5. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
    sure, they sell them at www.durc.com.mx, in their store in Monterrey, I've been told they are made in Michoacan, and they are called "tololoche" they are a little different than upright basses, for example they are smaller, they use plastic strings (someone told me that it cannot use normal strings because it could damage some parts of the bass) also I was told it doesn't sound very good with a bow, they are used on norteña, marchiachi, jazz bands.

Where are yoou from?

6. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    i had a chance to try out one of those uprights today, it was a 3/4 made in paracho; a student model. The scroll was glued to the neck, which was also glued to the body, but had a reinforcement screw right there. It had some sort of nylon and "piola" strings, not silicon. To my surprise, it was WAY louder than the englehearth i used at school.

The tololoche, as i understand is a regular 3/4 upright. It is jjust like in the 50's, when an orcherstra bass would be had for three times as much as a jazz bass.

Anyway, the guy at the store say the bass was made of "cedro" (instead of pine, which is quite popular with jom ;))

Maybe a good set of strings and the bass is ready to give you at least 5 years of service. On ething i didnt like, though, is the finish on the neck. Way too shiny/slippery.

i was thinking.. maybe we could get together and do seme ebay business ;) an upright for 400 shipped, 200% better quality than those chinese basses. :hyper:

7. Well there is a coulple things to think about. If you plan on joining the high school ORCHESTRA then you mite want a bass that sounds good arco. When I play with an orchestra more than 50% I play with the bow. You might want to check out just the how good those strings are too. But good luck and do whatever works for you. :smug: