Mexican vintage re-issue ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, Dec 14, 2003.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    After returning my G.LEE bass I still wanted a Jazz bass,so i played a few and was not moved to buy any of them.
    On my way out I seen a vintage looking Fender jazz with a 700.00$ price tag and thought it was a Highway one series,upon further inspection it was a custom Mexican 60's J-Bass.
    Its not any one year in perticular,it has many of the best options that were avalible in that decade,LIKE vintage hardware,smaller frett size,vintage p-ups,3 color s/burst,alder body without the extra routing used on cheaper mex basses(if you take off the p-gaurd it looks like a jaco bass,not like a mexican with the extra routing in the body to make wiring easier)and neck adjustment at the bottom of the neck.
    And ALL the parts are american made(just like the custom shop ones)and not of the lower quality of the mex standard basses,Its assembled in mexico is the only thing that makes it different from the custom shop re-issue.
    And by no means am I a fan of the Mexican series basses but I must admit that its a great bass for the money(685.00$)It set-up like a dream and sounds like the real deal,and I managed to get it for 500.00$.
    A friend told me that at Guitar Center if you ask for a discount(aside from the usual lower than the list price)G.C. will ALWAYS knock another 15-25% off the sticker price,I know because I got the Mark Hoppus bass for a buddy and only paid 325.00$(usually 565.00$),and the G.Lee jazz for 525.00$(usually 699.00)and the 60's re-issue for 520.00$(usually 685.00$)so the trick works,I'm not special,they will do it for anyone one anybass thats not on sale already,so before you decide to go elsewhere at least ask for the discounted price I'm 3 for 3 with it.
    Any feedback on this vintage bass from Mexico ?
  2. the thing is from what I've seen. The mexican standards are usually pretty bad but most and if not every other mexican instrument is ok. Like I got a deluxe series precission special which was made in mex but most of the parts are USA, i believe and it was set and plays like a dream. I think to be fair it is only really the standards that are crappy made and because mex to my memory only make standards, classics and deluxes poeple remember the bad standards. my friend has a 60's tele caster mex like your bass, same series, that plays like a dream.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Sounds like you bought a Classic 60's Jazz Bass. I own one, and it's my favorite bass! I like Fender's "Classic" basses and guitars better than the USA stuff, and I think they are Fender's best bang-for-buck offering.

Enjoy that bass!...
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Are you serious about the discount thing? Will that work even with cables? :confused:
  5. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Guess I am going to have to buy a 1200 dollar jazz and tear it apart to see where my MIM jazz is lacking.