Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mexicans fender Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 18, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I would love to collect your comments about both the mexicans jazz V, the standard and the deluxe.

how good are these?

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Here are some impressions of the Jazz V Standard that I had for about 5-6 months.

It has the typical single coil hum from the pickups. Unless they are balanced in level, you will experience some hum. Some guitars are worse than others, and it depends where you are playing and what noise is in the AC.

With Fender strings it will do a nice imitation of a Precision. It has a nice meat and potatoes sound with some good thumpiness out of the E & B strings. I didn't like XL-170 D'Addarios on it at all, it lost definition and attack, and sounded indistinct and blurry in the lower registers with a lot of midrange moan.

The guitar is fairly heavy, but is quite comfortable (for me anyway) due to the body contouring.

It looks great. I like the five on one side tuners, they look sharp.

The tone control didn't seem to do a whole lot. I guess I'm used to active basses now with a wider variety of tonal control.

The string spacing is great, same as a Precision, which makes it easy to go back and forth between a 4 and a 5.

The neck is kind of wide, (1.875" @ the nut I think) which is quite a bit wider than my Godin BG-5 or the Lakland Skyline 55-01 that eventually replaced the Fender. It may be an issue if you have smaller hands like me.

Last winter, the frets really started to stick out from the neck. I have a Fender American Series Precision, and the fretwork and neck are absolutely impeccable. That is one of the major differences with the Std vs. American. That wide neck is one big piece of wood, and as such, will tend to expand & contract a little bit more than some smaller necks. Could probably be tamed with a humidifier though.

However, a wider neck, like the Jazz-V I find easier to play compared to a longer neck (35" scale Lakland), believe it or not.

Because the Fender is a 34" scale, I would tend to favour the medium and heavier strings. Lights or Med / Lights with a narrow-gauge B-string .125" to .128" might be too floppy for your taste.

I bought mine for $369 Cdn. (a store demo) and for that price it was absolutely a slam dunk as there is nothing like it for the money.

If you need a good all-around bass to play a variety of music that requires the extended range of a five string and not a lot of money to spend, it's a good choice. Plus, it's a Fender.

I had to go to a bass (Lakland Skyline 55-01) that was almost 3 times the price to significantly better the Fender Jazz-V.

However, don't expect a wide selection of aftermarket goodies for it like the 4-stringers though, many aftermarket mods are available but they are a little harder to come by.

3. I have an MIM Fender Deluxe V, and I really like it so far. Mine has upgraded pickups (EMG), preamp (J-Retro BTB-01), pickguard (tort), and tuners (Gotoh). My main "gripe" is that the pickups don't fit the routes (I bought the bass recently with the upgrades already done). The preamp has TONS of output and sounds very natural to my ears. Anyway, I believe the bridge is stock, and it seems solid to me. The neck plays nicely as well, and I haven't noticed any problems with dead spots or unlevel frets.

4. I have a MIM Jazz V for about a year now. It was my first 5 string, it was not all that hard to change over with the Fender string spacing. The pickups in mine are stock and yes they do give a hum but once you play it goes away so i just ignore it. The tone pot doesn't do much when both pickups are on full or when the neck pup is on more than the bridge, but when the bridge pup is soloed and the tone is rolled, i can almost get that "jaco" tone. But with frets. good for crunchy funk and fusion.

I have recently found the frets sticking a very little bit outside the neck. I took a very light file and fixed that problem.

all in all for the price and quality. it is a great bass. I am going to re wire it into series/parallel with a switch after christmas.

good luck

-Adam
    any questions pm me.

5. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I had a MIM Jazz Deluxe V for several months. It had that Jazz bass look, feel and tone for the most part. The B string never did sound quite the same as the other 4 strings. It was usable, but no where near as good as the B on the Modulus I graduated into. I also invested about $90 to have a luthier do some work on the bass. A lot of the frets where not crowned and polished properly, the neck needed a shim in order to allow for a decent action to be set, and one of the wires on the preamp needed to be resoldered. After that work was completed the bass played and sounded much better.

Like eeyaydeegee said earlier, I had to invest substantially more money to get a noticeable improvement in tone and playability. I moved up to a Modulus Q5.

For the money, you can't go wrong with a Fender. It's pretty easy to get most of the money you put into it back out when you sell the bass. What I would recommend, however, is that you take a look at the Roscoe Beck V. Even though it's still a Fender, it is quite an improvement over any of the other models, american and mexican.

YWMV.

Merry Christmas Ya'll

--sb

6. My first 5 was a MIM 5 standard. Great bass excellent playability, decent B string, average tone but thats the easiest to fix. Brand new out the door with a gig bag for under $500.00 helps too!
    Robert

7. Agree. Also like the "Y" tuners better than cloverleaf (aka elephant ears).

8. DannyBoy

DannyBoy

Nov 22, 2003
    I think they are great instruments for their price-point. When set up properly, they offer great action, even tone across the fret board and a nice rendition of the classic Jazz Bass sound.

There is, however, a difference in tone and playability between it and it's MiA counterpart.

I recently played a MiJ Aerodyne Jazz Bass which features both J and P style Pickups. For the price, I think it's the best instrument in it's class. (can find them for less then $600.00)

If I was looking for a bass in the $500-$600 price range, I think it would be a toss up between the new Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass and the new MusicMan Sport Utility Bass (SUB).

-DB

9. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I don't own either but recently played both the MIM and the best USA Jazzes. I think I will go with the MIM should I buy. I couldn't tell any difference in fingering and the sound difference wasn't enough to make me spend another 500 or 600 on a bass.

I would have bought the MIM but would have been posting got good bass now need wife. If you know what I mean?

I believe the new MIM stuff is better than it used to be. IMHO

tk