1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mexico fender jazz bass ~ Is it worth to the money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassWTZ, Mar 12, 2013.

1. bassWTZ

bassWTZ

Mar 11, 2013
    Is it worth to the money(930 dollars) ? Would you buy it if you have enough money?

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Where do you live? in the usa they go for under 600.. used its common to see them in the 250$ range.

3. bassWTZ

bassWTZ

Mar 11, 2013
    I am chinese . Do it have a nice tone?

4. I used to own a MIM Fender Jazz Bass and I found nothing at all wrong with it. They are made of American parts but assembly is done in Mexico and they can be had used for $500.00 or less.

5. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
    I have always been pleased with my '97 MIM fender Jazz.

6. great basses.

7. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

Dec 16, 2012
    Why not have a look at the Squier CV Jazz? They are easily as good as the MIMs and since they are made in China they may be available much cheaper to you.

8. A lot of the Mim fenders are just as good as their Mia versions. If your planning on changing pickups, bridges or anything like that get the Mim. American prices will come back down in a few years when we Americans realize if you pay someone ten dollars an hour to flip burgers the result is just a really expensive burger

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    No, they're not...

- georgestrings

10. in everything except looks yes they are

-dwayniead

11. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Nothing wrong with MIM. I have a MIM Precision myself. You can gig with them. But since I own both I will say there is a difference in MIM and MIA.

12. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Good bang for the buck used. Since the recent price increases my opinion new is not so much. Find one used, play it, and decide if you think it is good.

13. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    For $930 I would buy something else (maybe even TWO 'something elses'), but if that is a low price where you are, it might be a good deal. Is that new or used? And what is a typical price range in your market for a bass guitar?

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've owned plenty of both, and we're going to disagree on that... Sure, there are isolated cases where the MIMs may compare or even exceed a tiny fraction of the MIAs, but by the vast majority, his statement just isn't true - no matter how much you wish it to be so...

- georgestrings

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    This - I currently have 3 MIAs and 1 MIM, and although my MIM is a great instrument('06 Deluxe P Bass Special), it still doesn't compare to the MIAs I own... I've probably owned close to 20 MIM Fenders, and have played hundreds, FWIW...

- georgestrings

16. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    No they're not.

Yes they are.

17. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    The 2012 MIM jazz I bought was a good buy. Looks great, feels great, sounds great. The American standards I tried out definitely felt a little nicer and were probably built better but in terms of tone they sounded just about the same. If I had the cash on hand I would have went for the American, but that's just me. I remember buying an MIM jazz in the early 2000's that no matter how much I modded it, still felt like a POS. The one I have now is much nicer. Stock pickups sound good, hardware seems to be of reasonable quality. Only thing I've changed on it was the pickguard. Truly is a sweet passive jazz.
    4EAFDCBE-0DDD-47AB-A654-3D63FE521CCE-10383-00000AC79AD31F6A.

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Here we go again... MIM is better than Squier and MIA is better than MIM... there is a reason Fender charges more and it isn't just labour laws. Sure you might see the odd dog, but every company involved in mass production has a dog or two. The quality of finish just isn't the same.

That being said, the Fender MIM is a great line and probably one of the better options at it's price point and I would recommend them in a heartbeat. I love my MIM P bass.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, they are - if you ignore differences in fit, finish, quality of wood, hardware, electronics, fretwork, nutwork, and the necks themselves, that is...

- georgestrings

20. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    You get what you pay for.