MF has the new 2pup Rays (and Sterlings)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by syciprider, Nov 10, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Ya know, EB said the new 2 humbucker basses wouldn't just have another MM pickup in the neck position...that's exactly what they did.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but that's pretty much exactly what they did.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    In a world of sequels and upgrades, it can be considered a substantial, 50% improvement.

They also gave it the Sterling style coil switch IIRC.

Anyway, I'll wait for the single/HB variant.
  3. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    You sure, Eric, that it's exactly what they did?

I ask because it could be a re-designed pickup. I mean, they might have gone out and really put a new kind of thing there in the neck position while maintaining the Stingray thing in the bridge position.

Not that I'd be in a position to know, mind you, but you think that's just a bridge position humbucker moved up the neck position?

I don't, but then what do I know?

There's no need to wait. Those are available, too. Well, you might have to wait until January, but still.

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If you click on "availability", however, you're informed that deliveries aren't until January 27th to February 10th, 2006. This is still very much a pre-order, although it's nice to now have a set date for release.
  5. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I do believe that the bridge pickup is not in the regular single-pickup "sweet spot." It's closer to the bridge. So it's not just adding a second pickup to what's already there.

I know that's the case on the Bongo.

But I might be wrong about the Rays and Sterlings.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    If I were ordering one of these, I'd probably call Bovine (or Bass Central or Bass NW if you prefer) rather than Musicians Friend.
    It may be just me, but I think I'd prefer a better price, better service, etc. than getting it from MF.
  7. I stay far, far away from MF unless there is absolutely no other alternative.

Back to the topic though...

I'll stick to my single pickup Sterling, thanks...

The way I look at it is, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it."
  8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Bridge pickup will be in the same place. They still want these babies to sound the same when switched to the bridge only position.

And just because the pickup looks the same (although it doesn't because the two p'upers have Bongo style covers) doesn't mean the neck is the same as the bridge. EB put a lot of thought into these before they released them to the public.
  9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    The switch on the the dual pickup basses isn't the same as the Sterling single pickup, it has five positions which have different functions depending on whether it's a dual humbucker, or a humbucker + single coil.
  10. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Go to the link in my signature and you can see pics of both H/H and H/S versions.

There's a fretless 5 string Stingray with the H/S setup too!
  11. The information posted on MF about the 2PU Ray is wrong. Both pickups on the 5 string are wired in parallel only. There is no series option or single coil option as is the case on the single PU version.
  12. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Black with black pickguard and rosewood fretboard would be amazing. :bassist:
  13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Black/black/maple to match my single pup. Or maybe white w/ tort pg and maple fb.

But I want a Ric and a Valenti and a fretless and ....

Argh. How will I ever get everything that I want? :bawl:
  14. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
  15. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well, I do NOT come here to sell stuff, I come here to yak about EBMM basses, but if you'd like to simply TALK about the new dual pickup basses, I'm your boy.

And the above quoted statement from Musician's Enemy is hyperbole. While I can't undercut their posted prices by a zillion dollars, I can at least say that I will hook you up if you need to be hooked up. (Is that okay to say? I still don't really understand the commercial user thing.)

Just email me before you do anything rash, that's all I'm saying.