Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by godspeed68, Oct 18, 2004.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Greetings fellow low-end-ers....where do i begin...ahh, from the beginning i presume. Predominantly an electric player, I first played an upright just tonight, and by all means, this experience just might have changed my life. I got an accumulative 5 minutes to dick around on one at my theory lesson (electric).....and it is decidedly so that in the next day or so I will be renting a double bass from the local music store. As I am a complete newbie to this, but not to bass playing by any means...I really do not know what to look for. I have also noticed that you guys probably get the question "what do I look for" or, "what is the best" out of people in my situation. But, as I do not have much of a choice (renting instead of buying) I thought I would bring to your attention the brands that the local music store rents out....if you could, please give me the run down of these basses....and tell me if it's a waste of my time or not.....??????? thanks for your time as always fellow talkbass-ers.

Models are as follows: - link for glaesel - link for knilling

--thanks for your your time again, as it helps me to grow as you have HAHA!!

2. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I remember that first time playing a big bass. It's a very exciting time.

While I don't have any experience on the brands you mentioned, I noticed that the site also mentions Wilfer instruments. They are generally very good, try to talk them into renting you one of those.
  3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    hey dude, welcome to the dark side. Sounds like you've been bitten by the DB bug and may be irreparably altered for the better.

Best thing to do is
    1) Start reading the "Newbie Links" at the beginning of each forum category and informing yourself about the basics. I believe you'll be able to find the answers to the basses in question in the newbie links as well.

2) If you can't find the info therein, get used to using the Search tool to get your answers. You should be able to find tons of answers on your own. Many of the questions that you'll be asking would've already been answered in the past. If you find that it isn't, then post and let us know.

3) Get yourself a double bass teacher. No exceptions. :D DB is nothing like electric bass guitar and most of it can only be taught firsthand.

Enjoy TBDB... there's a pleothora of treasures for you to learn here... just gotta do the work and look for it.