1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MI Audio Crunch Box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
  2. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    bump! i would like to know also.. no money to buy at the moment though..

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I know alot of guitarists really like them and say it has alot of midrange. It'll be well build as all MI audio pedals are... I dont know how much bass it might lose.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Anyone else? Seems like a good alternative to other gritty distortions like the turbo rat, xxlb, gt-2, and guv'nor.

5. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I have it, but never tried it with bass. I was turned to guitar for the past 2 years (heresy, I know..:) , just went back to bass 3 months ago.

It has an internal control to control the amount of bass that go to the distortion circuit.
    I dont know about Rat, Guvnor, etc...but compared to GT2 (in British mode), IMHO Crunch box is less noisy.

My wife and daughter are sleeping, I'll test it for you guys tomorrow...just keep in touch.

6. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Hmmm...could this be the distortion I'm looking for?

7. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I've tested the pedal. But please bear in mind that I'm not a distorted bass fans (I bought the pedal for my guitars), so I don't know exactly what is good or bad bass distortion sound.

Onto MIA Crunch Box. It sounds huge but I cannot keep the lows without being muddy or lost of definitions.

Then I plug in another MIA pedal :

[​IMG]

This one sounds better IMHO than the CB as it has 3 band tone control (I think it's active) so it is more flexible. It also has a "symmetry" control so I can go from mild overdrive (sym knob max position) with the note definitions intact to all out distortion (sym knob min position) and the variation of them in between. I can even get Ampeg like grit with it (imagine Geddy's solo on Vital Sign). I think this one is more suitable for bass than CB. The only problem is: the pedal is very limited, mine is part of 92 units built by MIA's for Australian Red Cross charity.