1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIA '06 Jazz body routs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ric426, Oct 8, 2009.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Is this the way Fender did the body routs on the American Series '06 Jazz basses? I guess I was surprised by the CNC hole, the oversized neck pocket and the big rout for the neck pickup because I assumed that they only did that on the Mexican J basses. NBD as long as that's the standard for that period.

[​IMG]

2. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    That is a MIM body

3. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Seems like Mia Jazz body to me. Mia bodies have that pool hole

4. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Can't say from what is, but it isn't a (standard, anyway) MIM body. MIM's have their truss rod access at the top of the neck and therefore no "body divot" to accommodate the wrench. Standard MIM's aren't string-through-body, either.

Even USA Fenders are made in a factory, and if it takes less time to rout a big rectangle than a pickup shaped cavity, then that's what they do. It's still a great bass, the one by which many of us judge the rest!

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I had a 2006 MIA body that was routed exactly like that. Also, I don't think there are any MIM Jazzes with thru-body stringing. The Hoppus has it, but I don't think the Jazzes ever did.

6. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks for the info. I figured it was a MIA body, but since I haven't looked "under the hood" of very many recent Fenders I wasn't sure.

7. I have two brand new (2009) MIA Fender American Standard Jazz Basses. Both are routed exactly as yours is. So even the new 2008-9 models that many say are the "best made in years" look like yours under the hood.