1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

MIA 57 P RI Weird Vol Pot behaviour.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lifeon4strings, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Lifeon4strings

Lifeon4strings

May 4, 2017
    Hi Guys hoping someone might be able to help me out.

So im having a bit of weird trouble with my Vol/Tone Pots on my 13yo MIA RI 57 P Bass. About 9 months ago the Vol Pot started miss behaving and i have taken it to 3 diffrent repair shops and im still stuck with this annoying issue, ill try my best to explain it.

Whats happening is when the Vol Pot is at 100% the tone pot doesnt have any effect and the tone sound is equivelent to approxx 80% normal tone setting.
    The Vol Pot behaves like this.
    0% - 5% off no sound
    6% - 9% snap to low level
    10% to 90% small increase in volume mabye 2db change
    91% - 94% very aggressive slope in volume almost a snap change
    95% - 100% flat out feels like almost a 10db jump

The tone pot has no effect when volume pot at full (95 - 100) setting.
    But tone pot works like normal with a full 0% - 100% high end roll off when the Volume pot is in the 10% - 90% range, but suffering from volume loss.

I have replaced both pots with original fender 250k AUD Solid Shaft Dish back pots also using a 1uf Cap that came with them. Wired to the spec as in the 57p Bass spec manual. With no change same problem.
    I have tried diffrent preamps and DIs to no avail.
    Pickups are orginal and havent been touched.

Attached is the current way its wired up per spec sheet. And Cap used.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jason

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021