Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIA 62 RI jazz vs. Geddy sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Jan 20, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What´s the difference between these two soundwise and in playability? I know they have the same pups. If you changed the Badass bridge to a fenderbridge the only thing to affect the sound is the maple fretboard on the Geddy, right?

I just love those black blockinlays...mmmmm

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    don't forget, the 62 RI also has the stack knob setup and the ground wire running on the outside of the body... I don't know how much that would effect the tone, but it might.... Also, I think you would find the neck on the Geddy Lee to be a little smaller than the 62 RI, since the GL is built to represent how geddy had his neck shaved... These are all minor things, and shouldn't effect the tone that much....

P@

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As P@ said, the neck on the '62 RI is quite a bit chunkier than on the GL model. Some have said that the neck is so thin that it robs the bass of fundamentals, especially in the extreme low registers, but mine has plenty of lows for me.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey em,

I thought you had a GL, did you sneak into a 62 RI somewhere? sorry, but your comments are a bit ambigious....

P@

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I thought it was pretty clear, but I will reword it.

A few people who have played or owned GL's have said that they were weak in the lowest fundamentals, and atributed this to the extremely thin/small neck.

I have not noticed this problem with my GL. It has plenty of bass for me.

Better now?;)

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yeah, all good! sorry about the misunderstanding!

:D

P@