Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIA Deluxe J vs MIA J p/ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Emprov, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Thinkin' about picking up a MIA J and was wondering if anyone knows the differences between the pups in the Deluxe vs the the plain ol' MIA. Obviously, the Deluxe is active but, have they just thrown in a preamp to make them active or are the pups different all together?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    American Deluxe pups: 2 Dual-Coil Ceramic Noiseless Jazz Bass Pickups with Nickel Plated Pole Pieces.

American pups: 2 American Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups (Mid & Bridge).

Tone: Subjective...;)

3. What about the old Deluxe "Noiseless" pickups from the late 90s? The ones with the single pole per string... Also, are these pickups (the pickups themselves) passive, with an active preamp? Or are the pickups themselves active only like EMG's?

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The "old" (single pole piece), and the "new" (double pole piece) pickups, are both passive on the Fender Jazz Deluxe basses.

5. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    That's what I was looking for. Thanks Slater!

6. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I own a 2000 model Deluxe USA J. I'm a big fan of the new 8-pole noiseless pickups. I know because I changed them out, and then went back to them. And yes, they are passive. It's the preamp that's active. The Deluxe is fantastic. Light weight and fun to play. IMO, the stock preamp is of poor quality. Change it out and you'll have a top-notch bass. I put an Aguilar OBP-3 in mine, but there are cheaper options (Bart 2 and 3-band preamps). If weight isn't a concern and you don't mind passive, go with the standard J, but I'd change out those stock USA pickups with a set of $100 Fender Custom Shop pickups (or other high quality replacement). Either way, you have to replace an inferior part. Again, just my opinion.

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    brock,

What replacement pickups did you try out in the fender deluxe.

BTW...I send the suggestion for the aguilar OBP-3. I did the same for my jazz deluxe, & not its my main bass.

8. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    DiMarzio Ultra Jazz. I was surprised that I wasn't blown away by them.