1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIA Fender Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jw19x62, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jw19x62

jw19x62

Jul 28, 2008
    Nebraska, USA
    Can I stand up for MIA Fenders without being labled a harlot here?

2. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I think you'll be safe. :D

3. sflajimmy

sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    It's ok but you'll still probably take some heat from someone;)

4. jw19x62

jw19x62

Jul 28, 2008
    Nebraska, USA
    Okay. I will bite. MIA's are just as good as anything from 40 years ago. I know cuz I was there. Only now those 40 yr old axes are shelved and no longer considered playable, while you don't mind spending 5 grand for one.

5. jw19x62

jw19x62

Jul 28, 2008
    Nebraska, USA
    Yes. The heat is coming. I already know this. But for the sake of argument, a MIA Fender is a respectable instrument. In regards to the one I own I have no problems with. It is a good bass, despite my USA j-bass.

6. jw19x62

jw19x62

Jul 28, 2008
    Nebraska, USA
    Guess my real point is you might as well marry a woman you can't have sex with anymore.

7. jw19x62

jw19x62

Jul 28, 2008
    Nebraska, USA
    Ive played on a few 60s era basses. I dont own any of them now but that dont matter now. It was a time and place that you had to have been there. and that time can and will never be repeated again. too bad for yoooooooooooooooooooooo.

8. cdaniel

cdaniel

Nov 29, 2003
    Arizona
    I love my MIA Jazz, but I don't think I would talk to myself in public about it. :eyebrow:

Alas, if you feel that strongly about it. Testify brother!
    Go tell it on the mountain!:D

:bag:

9. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    i dont see the big deal about it.they dont look bad at all.in fact i liked the american made p bass that came in all black.i bet theyre not bad.

10. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    No... SX basses are just as good, and for 1/10th the price!!

:bag:

11. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    :eyebrow:

12. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Did anyone else completely miss something in this thread?

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have a new '08 American Standard P and the quality, hardware and workmanship is as good as anything. It is totally perfect. The sound is wonderful. The case is a monument to case technology. Sure - there are more expensive basses handmade with exotic woods, etc., but they are not made any better - just different. Because of modern manufacturing processes, the new basses are probably actually much better made than the old ones. If the old wood was around at a reasonable price, they would be much better than those of 30-40 years ago in every way.

Meanwhile, I tried an SX P a while back and returned it. - it surely was not the same. Beautiful finish, but the details and playability were not there. The frets were rough and the pickups were off center. A good value, sure, but not in the same ballpark as the MIA Fenders. I am CERTAIN that there will be very few SX basses for sale in 30 years - they won't last that long.

Sometimes you DO get what you pay for.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    All my Precision basses are MIA, almost all my Jazz basses are MIJ. I find the American Precisions have a different profile and feel which I prefer to their MIJ counter parts. I find they're (MIJ) closer to a Jazz profile than to a Precision. However I love their J necks!

I was always told to buy the best instrument you could afford so you don't waste your time on crap. If an SX is the best instrument I could afford, I'd get it. Its not. Sure SX or Squier or whatever is great for their price range, but IMHO no, its not equal to say an MIA Fender. Just remember that with instruments that the law of diminishing returns almost always applies.

If you're happy with it, fine more power to you.

Different strokes for different folks.

I don't care where an instrument is made so long as it sounds good, feels good, and speaks to me.

15. misfit-x

misfit-x

Jul 10, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    I've got an '08 MIA Fender Jazz and P-bass and love them!

16. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Sixties Fenders were perfect in every way until January of 1965, when Fender forgot how to do anything right. Everything between 1965 and 2008 is crap -- right Savit :) The 2008 models certainly do come with lower action from the factory, and that makes them like the early 60s basses for some reason....

I kid.

Seriously, Fender today is at least as good as the old 60s stuff, and has been since at least 1996.

17. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    the neck on my 08 MIA Jazz is like something that descended from heaven. Playability is amazing.

18. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    What about that S1 series Fenders?:p:bag:

19. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    What about them? It's a switch/pot, and either you like it or not. I don't like mayonnaise, but that doesn't mean its a bad condiment -- not as good as a 60s condiment. or an 08 condiment, mind you, but still not bad :)

20. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Fender doesnt make any basses with s1 switches anymore today.