MIA Fender Fretless Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimbo, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyboby

it's time i upgrade from my cheap-imitation-of-a-stingray to a quailty bass.

and i'm decided on getting a fretless

so of the ones i've played, i've enjoyed the j-bass most of all. and i have read good things on the versatility of it.

i've also read different threads on wheter the MIA or MIM is the better value

but i think it's going to be a MIA for me, i just need to save up more $$$

but before i make a purchase, i want reassurance that the MIA Fender Fretless Jazz is a quality bass. i like the tone and all, but does anyone think that it is an inferior fretless? if anyone has any input on any aspect, i'd greatly apprecitate it.

2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own a '97 AmDlxJ fretless and it's a very high quality instrument. Fit, finish, playability and tone, all top-notch.
  3. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    I didn't think there was a difference in tone between the MIM and MIA fender jazz basses. I thought it was just what the made the basses out of, that made the american tone, a bit difference, not necessarily better.
  4. Yeah, IMHO there is a difference between the MIM's and MIA's. Here are the largest differences.

1) Stiffer, more easily playable neck on the MIA's; the neck on an MIA just feels better, hard to put into words but the difference can be felt.
    2) NOTICEABLY better pickups on the MIA's.
    3) Slightly better wood quality, and better built quality and "solidity" on the MIA's.

Overall, the MIA's just feel, look and sound better than the MIM's IMO (ok, please no flames, i said IMHO), but the MIM's are still EXCELLENT basses for the money, and I pass a high recommendation for either an MIM or MIA Fender if you can find a MIM for ~$300 and/or an MIA for ~800. But But if you start to get too expensive, there are better basses for the money IMO. But Fenders are still great basses, and pioneers for most, if not all, of what we play today in the electric bass realm.

God I sounded like a politician....:D
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I doubt you'll be dissapointed. I have a MIA Jazz V, it's not a fretless but it's very nicely made and sounds INCREDIBLY GOOD.
  6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have a MIM jazz fretless and here's my experience. quality control at fender is pretty non existent. play abunch of the mexi jazzes. mine is better than half of the americans i played. i will throw a new bridge on mine but thats it. great stock!
  7. How do the rosewood or pau ferro fretboards hold up against roundwound strings? Is it necessary to coat the fretboard with some type of epoxy?
  8. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    jaco coated his jazz bass with epoxy, thats about the extent of my knowledge...