MIA Fender Jazz Bass string rattle when plucking by bridge.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joon Yang, May 23, 2016.

1. Joon Yang

Joon Yang

May 23, 2016
    Hello!

I have a 2012 MIA fender jazz bass that has some kind of rattle on the E and A string when I pluck by bridge pick-up. There seems to be no rattling (or less audible) when I pluck by the neck. Moreover, the rattling gets worse as I go towards the bridge. I don't hear the rattle when I play the guitar through an amp.

I am not sure if I had this problem all along but I noticed it AFTER I adjusted pick-up and bridge height. And now, no matter how I adjust my pickup/bridge saddle, I can't make the rattling go away. Also, it seems like it is very difficult to make the saddle parallel to the body when just using an eye balling it.

I tightened every screws on guitar and the problem still occurs. I have changed the string as well. I have adjusted truss rod with the capo on 1st fret while using the .012 feeler gauge. But again, it seems like I have noticed this problem after messing with the height of pickup/bridge saddle.

Is this supposed to be a normal thing with guitars that have "two legged" saddles or does mine have a problem?

Thank you guys!

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    Is the rattle on fretted notes, or only open strings? Does it go away if you press down on the string between the nut and the tuning peg?

3. Joon Yang

Joon Yang

May 23, 2016
    Hello, it is on both open AND fretted noted. But it does seem a little louder when I fret the notes.

4. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    One thing to keep in mind... when we play without an amp, we tend to play harder to make it audible.
    What did you do the saddles when you adjusted them? Raise or lower the action?

5. Saddle springs vibrating?

steelin4u and Mushroo like this.
  6. Joon Yang

Joon Yang

May 23, 2016
    The problem still occurs when I pick lightly. Regarding your question, I have lowered the bridge, following the number on Fender's website. I tried raising them again but the rattling is still there.

7. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    FWIW - I never use feelers or measurements when I set up my basses, and I think I do a pretty good job. True, it takes a couple tries to get it just right, but I adjust, play and readjust.

8. steelin4u

steelin4u Supporting Member

I second the vote for saddle springs. Is the rattle much more noticeable when unplugged?

electracoyote likes this.
  9. 5alive

5alive

Oct 13, 2015
    Its definitely a string height issue. Raise the height slightly.

10. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    Also check if you have good contact of the strings in the nut slots especially if you use lighter gauge strings. Press with your finger hard on the string at the nut and pluck the
    open strings.

11. Nut slots won't rattle on fretted notes.

Looks like he tried that.

Saddle springs. I've heard it at least a hundred times over the decades.

12. 5alive

5alive

Oct 13, 2015
    I missed that part.