MIA Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Corallo, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    During a visit to a local music shop, I found out that the store is discontinuing their Fender bass line and is discounting the basses by 40% from suggested retail. They had a passive MIA jazz bass with a hard case going for $677 before sales tax. I've been playing a Squier jazz bass which I bought about 15 years ago. My Squier was made in Japan and plays fairly well except for noisy pickups. If I purchase the MIA Jazz bass, will their be enough of difference in playability and sound to justify the money? Guitar Traders.com also had a MIA jazz for about $740, so I don't think this is an outstanding deal. I thought about buying a Warwick Corvette but have decided against it due to some unflattering posts about them. My impression of Fender basses is that they do everything well (not great) and are very reliable. Anyone have a thought?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    >My impression of Fender basses is that they do everything well (not great) and are very reliable.

My impression is that they do everything great. I would also speculate that the vast majority of great basslines you've heard were done with a Fender.
  3. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    OK, that may be true. But why is there such a proliferation of high-end basses? Obviously, there is something different (inherent value or sex appeal) about other brands to command price differences. I get the impression that a lot of people would rather pay top dollar for a bass and somehow justify it in terms of sound and playability when the run of the mill Fender may work just fine. Sort of like the cars we drive. A Mercedes is extremely comfortable, but a Dodge will still get you to where you want to go for a lot less money in the same amount of time assuming you drive the speed limit. This gets me back to my question....is there a large and noticeable difference between my MIJ Squier Jazz bass and a MIA Fender Jazz bass that would justify its purchase?
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Hey Jeff, heres what i think, Get the MIA Jazz the difference tends to be in the woods,electronics,neck,& fret work. Like a Squier Affinity P-bass USUALLY won't feel as good as a MIA Stand. or Deluxe Jazz or Precision. Consider different brands if you have doubts about the MIA & try as many as you can get your hands on [people @ Guitar Works started to look @ me funny after i tried all but 1 of their Ibanezes :) ] Try,Buy,Play the h*ll out of :)
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    American Standard Jazz is currently $649.99 at Musicians Friend. As to whether or not the difference from your Squier is worth it or not you should really go play one. My preference for that amount of bucks is the Geddy Lee Signature Jazz, about $630 at music123.com YMMV.

6. Early 80s Squiers from Japan are really good. Really, really good. A change of pickups may bring the bass up to a standard where the difference in quality is not worth the expense.

However, there is another issue...is you Squier one of the JV series (sn starts with JV)? If so then it will be a vintage style instrument, substantialy different from a modern MIA jazz bass, which have reinforced necks that feel and sound quite different...more 'modern'.
  7. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000

I checked the serial number on my Squier. It does not start with a 'jv'. It starts with an 'e'. I guess I have the more modern style of bass you suggest. Perhaps the earlier Squiers were built to better tolerances; there may not be much of a difference (except for noisy pickups). I'll play the MIA Fender jazz and then decide.
  8. No, those Squiers still didn't have reinforced necks. But by that time Squiers had begun to be seen as a second quality line. Yes, check out the MIA. That's the only way you will know.
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    The fact that so many upscale bass manufacturers make copies of Fender Basses ( especially the J)should tell us something. As in most things the original is still the greatest.