MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe -- Replacement Knobs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atldeadhead, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. atldeadhead


    Jun 17, 2002
    I've got a 4 string Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe. The knobs on this bass are a little different than the knobs on a traditional Jazz. They are attached to the pots via a small allen wrench style screw. I have stripped out the screw on the bass boost/cut knob!! Which, by the way, is the lower portion of a stacked knob pot. The top knob controls the treble boost/cut and as I just described, the bottom controls the bass boost/cut.

    I've searched high and low on the Internet and I can not find anyone who has a replacement knob for the deluxe series of basses.

    I'm at the end of my rope. Do any of you fine folks know where I can find a replacement for this knob?? If I can't find an exact replacement I wouldn't mind upgrading all of the knobs to something a little nicer. I'm just not sure what to do...HELP.

  2. adrian garcia

    adrian garcia In Memoriam

    Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i had sort ot the me problem-
    i didnt break or strip the knob- i just wanted chrome knobs- i looked hi and lo for that and aw hite pickguard-
    finally- i ordered some from smart parts-
    they chatged me $79 for the pickgurd an the set of knobs-
    express mail- i got a pwckage over a week later- hardly express- and it had the wrong knobs- all black- i clearly said chrome- they sent me black p bass knobs- - its been over 2 months- i hve been asking for my money back - i returned the wrong knobs- i dont even want the pickgurd anymore- but if they made it - ill pay for it- but nothing.. im just out $79-
    they did return one irrate message i left them- but i wasnt here- so the saga continues.. be careful if you decide to use them- or better yet, don't!- good luck- try fender themselves- they should have the knobs
  3. geezer316

    geezer316 Guest

    Jan 26, 2003
    there are 2 types of nobs.the type that just snugly fit over the posts with the gnurls down the shaft(i said shaft;) )then the type that have a small screw on the side or an allen hex screw.they sell them both all over the net.i see them all the time on e-bay.or just go to your local guitar store, i see them there all the time on the rack with all the other little odd's and ends. i should'nt be to complicated.:D
  4. mrcrowUK

    mrcrowUK Guest

    Feb 1, 2003
    england, somerset
    try to get an engineer to drill and tap either the existing hole a bit larger or resite somewhere around the periphery
    better still a watchmaker..they have small drills and screw makeing taps...
    just a suggestion.
  5. atldeadhead


    Jun 17, 2002
    Haha...when I called fender they gave me one of two options. Order the part from them OR order the part from a local dealer. They did supply me with the correct part number. What I thought was funny is that to order the part from them I'd need to use their parts department called.....Smart Parts. The very same company that Adrian said he has had all the problems with.

    I think I'll try and order these thru a local dealer. I'd still rather find a suitable replacement on a reputable parts website.

    I'm still open for suggestions.
  6. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, man. I work at a fender dealer, and I can get you those parts. I can take credit cards, and unless fender is slow to ship me those, i can get them to you pretty quick. e-mail me at [email protected]

    You can check out our website at http://www.samuelmusic.com

    Anyways, I have one of the same basses that you are referring to, and If I ever have to replace the knobs, I'll probably get some chrome ones anyways. But I can get you the genuine fender replacements if you like.
  7. atldeadhead


    Jun 17, 2002
    Thanks tmo33. That's just the kind of reply I was hoping for. Email on the way.
  8. jivetkr

    jivetkr Supporting Member

    May 15, 2002
    I have this bass as well & I want the chrome knobs. Will fender supply these or do they only have the black plastic ones?

    If they dont, who else, besides smart parts, sells replacement knobs for a jazz deluxe?
  9. jerry

    jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

    Dec 13, 1999
    When I stripped one of the plastic knobs on my American Deluxe V, I got nice black metal ones from allparts.
  10. adrian garcia

    adrian garcia In Memoriam

    Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i got chrome ones from GC - they ordered the stack knob from allparts- the packed knob cmae in - CG did a good job- it ws something like $8- now figure this - smart parts chrged me $79- and the pickguard was only $39- so $40 for the wrong knobs and shipping- nice!!
    by the way- i really dont thik they are run by fender-
    i called todya and the was a messgae saying they would be closed becuse of serious illness-
    my prayers for whomever is sick- no doubt..
    the whole deal has been very unstisfactory- i told them if i ran my shop like that id expect to close in a week-
    the allparts stacked knob is fine , but i bit big- it sticks out way above the others- so it looks little silly-
  11. jerry

    jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

    Dec 13, 1999
    BTW Adrian....that Fender Deluxe your selling looks very sweet!!!!! If I didn't already have my fender fix.....I'd be all over that:bassist: