Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIA Fender Jazz vs. Skyline Joe Osborn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Hey all looking for any feed back from those who know. What do you like and why.
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Never played the Joe Osborne but Ive played a bunch of MIA Jazz basses. Im a big fan of the Fender jazz and the new ones are pretty good. I found flaws in some of them though so you have to look closely at the construction and play a few of them to find one that stands out. Im really picky though...

3. Do you want a Deluxe or standard MIA? I play a deluxe and it's great - a few intonation probs, but nothing a nice heavy set of strings didn't fix.

I play one of the older 9V circuit ones, but the new ones are meant to be even better - although I don't like the 4 over 1 headstock - probably better balanced though. The active circuit is a boon - a lot of very versatile tones and ultra quiet.

4. if you are looking for a 4-string then it is probably a toss-up. but if you want a 5-strting go with the Lakland.

I would go with the one I have played and know I like. you always take a chance when you buy something without playing it or a different bass of the same model first. Lakland's are pretty consistant with quality.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Choice #3. Lakland Daryl Jones.

6. I agree with everything above but perhaps I should be more clear. I have a MIA Fender Jazz w/ passive Fender Lace Sensors p-ups, Ash/Maple and I also have a Lakland 55-94. The Jazz has it's share of character and warm tones but the playability of the Lakland knocks me off my feet and the tone is just fine too!
    I know the Skylines probably won't measure up to a USA Lakie but I just want any thoughts on how Skyline might compare to the MIA Fender.
    Thanks again,
    Robert

7. appler

appler Guest

It looks like Fender is changing the design of the American jazz again. It's going to feature the "S-1 switching system" which can switch the pickup from parallel to series, so it'll sound like a P bass. Should be interesting, but my local Guitar Center ran out of the regular American jazzes and isn't stocking any more >:oops:

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    RSmith,
    I did an extensive review comparing these two basses (and of the entire Skyline line. Do a search under my name to or by keyword to track down those detailed reviews. However, in a nutshell, the Osborne is head-and-shoulders above the Fender. The only Fender I would consider instead of an Osborne would be a '62 Reissue.