Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIA Fender neck replacement?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistJ, Dec 22, 2001.

1. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Hey ya'll. Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but I thought it made more sence in Basses then it did in setup.

For a sort of New Years treat I was going to by myself a new neck for my mid 90's Fender American Deluxe fretless. The only problem is that it's a 22 fret neck, most unlike usual Fender fare. I went to both Warmoth and Moses and they only make vintage Fender necks. Does anyone know of a company that makes necks for the Mid 90's MIA Fender Deluxe, or am I looking at a total custom job? Thanks for any help or criticism.

2. I'm confused, you cant find a 22 fret neck? Is it the original neck. My MIM deluxe Jazz has a 22 fret, whats so unusual?

Also, have you done any internet searches?

3. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Yes, the Deluxe line does have 22 frets, but with the exception of the new line of Fenders I think they are the only ones. And it's not about finding a neck off anouther Fender. I'm looking for a completely new neck.

Yes, and you would'nt imagine how big a pain in the arse it is trying to wade through all the crud links only to find good ones that STILL don't have the correct info. Thanks for your help, though.

4. Thats where I was confused sorry.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Originally posted by BassistJ

And it's not about finding a neck off anouther Fender. I'm looking for a completely new neck.

im not sure if you dont want a fender neck on it or not, im a little bit confused, but you can order replacement necks brand new straight from fender.

I know you said you looked into warmoth for a neck and that they dont make the type your looking for, but did you ask them if the would manufacture a neck for you to the specs you want. It may cost you a bit more if they do, and im not sure if theyll even do it at all, but if you didnt ask them its at least worth looking into. If you did already ask, just disregard all this

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  7. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    Just to clarify things here, I think he needs a 22 fret neck that does not have an "overhung" fingerboard. In other words, the Deluxe neck is actually longer from nut to the heel. Warmoth's overhung fretboards have the stock nut to heel length. This is not to say that Warmoth won't do a custom job, you'd have to ask them.

If he puts an overhung fingerboard neck on his Deluxe, the nut to bridge distance is going to be all screwed up....

Randy